rearview cam forward placed vs allthe way back

P90036

Reaction score
Country
United States
im trying out putting the rearview cam placed forward instead of rear, in my odyssey minivan
thinking is to capture sides and back
so far seems my big head is obscuring the driver side , and the rear license plate is not readable even with some sharpening
maybe in the future when cams are like 4k-8k resolution
i dunno...
i'll have to try in my other car its a shorter, crv
frame-capture-inside.jpg

Needs a wider angle for that use, you can't read the plates anyway so might as well go wider, but it is good for showing what is happening around the car, it is good for evidence purposes.

View attachment 44692

Last edited:
thats what i intend to do soon, set up a camera like that so if the cops accuse us of using a mobile phone while driving or similar i have hard evidence saying no i wasnt, i was only scratching my face or something.

For the past months using the B1W as a cabin cam i have desperately tried to cheat cops to think i was using a phone and pull me over, but they don't seem to give a damn about me.
In general this issue dont bother me, and the cabin camera was just there so i could beat on it for longer as my windscreen was filled up.

For the past months using the B1W as a cabin cam i have desperately tried to cheat cops to think i was using a phone and pull me over, but they don't seem to give a damn about me.
and when they do, hope that the camera is working else you may be stuffed.
but hey, cops seem to be well trained to detect actual phone users, not just try hards. so if you are faking it they seem to know.

My "taxi cam" captures some of the sides rearward, but with my van's shelving blocking most of the rear it doesn't "see" much outside and with the distance to the back windows you don't get a lot there either. Better than nothing and it would certainly do much better in most cars so I can see some usefulness in the concept ;) And at the back pointing forward is my B1W, again it doesn't see much outside for the shelving but with all the rest of my cams it was a handy place for it till I can do something more permanent. I've got 8 cams going ATM :rolleyes:

Perhaps ideal for most cars would be 2 "taxi" cams, with their primary lens facing outward and the "cabin" lens giving side coverage by pointing inward; the rear "cabin cam" covering the front sides and the front "cabin cam" covering the rear sides. There would likely be overlap involved in 6 places ensuring that even with heads and seats in the way, something would be caught of everything happening around the car. I think I'll try the arrangement when I get another runabout; I wasn't able to fix the minivan fast enough with everything else I had to do during the move so it got turned into scrap :( Kind of hate that as it was a really nice runabout but I had no place to keep it.

Phil

and when they do, hope that the camera is working else you may be stuffed.
but hey, cops seem to be well trained to detect actual phone users, not just try hards. so if you are faking it they seem to know.
Ours are traveling on busses these days, so that they can look down and see any phone you have on your lap for txting, they also have scanners on the busses that can detect the phone transmissions. If they see you with a phone on your lap they send your license plate number ahead for a police bike with its ANPR cameras to pull you over and present you with their video of you using your phone while driving, along with points and fines. So you don't actually need to be using your phone, if it is on your lap and running an app, even if only a background app that is transmitting...

Hehe yes it is funny how people use their phones now.

1: the in car lap/groin thing, seen from the outside if is funny how people suddenly are so fascinated with their groin, every time they stop their eyes look down,,,,, i taught genital fascination was just a period all toddlers had to go thru.
2: The speaker phone thing, so instead of putting your phone up to the ear, which apparently are too hard for some people now, so they use speaker phone and have the phone in front of their head like a cracker or something they are about to bite into.

Phones are NOT making people smarter.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
12Farmer SG9663DC & SG9663DCPRO 14
Back