Received dash cam as gift but want advice on upcoming purchase - will be soon

yodamin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi All, Im new here so hope the below format for these threads are correct.

I just received a my Gecko Orbit950 for Xmas. I won't get into my reasons here, but I have a few issues with it and want advice on purchasing another for myself.

A large LCD screen would be better but not a deal breaker
swivel to record driver side window is a MUST
dual camera is a must
minimum 1080p is a must
ability to connect to my PC is a must
complete package when purchasing would be better but not a deal breaker
under $500.00 would be good, under $300 would be better
something that does not use lithium battery only to power the device, I've read that there are better power solutions out there (supercapacitor)
having a battery to power the device when not connected to car mount or PC would be good
hard wired or lighter socket solutions are both OK. Both is optimum - even if I have to purchase an after market hard wire kit, I am good with that, can still install on my own np.

Must not be a myGecko or Papago device.

Good support with more than an email address to contact would be best.
The lack of support options and wait times are driving me crazy with my current device.

Thank you anyone who can help. I am technically inclined, but NOT dash cam savvy.
I aim to change that by joining this forum and read, read, reading and read some more.

Cameras that are mounted so they can be swiveled are few and far between, not least if it also have to be a dual channel system.

You can always plug the memory card into a card reader attached to your PC, this is highly recommended as cameras acting as mass storage device give very slow transfer speeds, in some cases so slow you cant even playback video directly from the camera.
With a good USB 3.0 card reader in a similar or faster USB port on the computer you can do what you like, and move files at the read /write speed of the memory card.
Yes capacitors for power, this are just a EMG power in case of very violent event where power might be cut, and just enough to finalize last file properly so it is not corrupted.

You can power a dashcam ( well the ones powered by 5 V USB ) from a power bank, but it will be smarter to use the smartphone you have for out of car recordings.
Remember with a dual camera you first have to unplug a few wires before you can move it out of the car, to get your hands on footage it is better to turn camera off and eject memory card.
Hard wire you only need if you want to use parking mode, or at least want to have your dashboard socket free for other stuff, generally you need to get a hard wire kit made by the camera brand. if you want to do parking mode.

Best support are street guardian, in here it is often a matter of minutes before you have a RPLY, they also have prenence in North America. But they do not have any model that can swivel towards the side.
You could use your docked phone to record side window, depending on where it is installed, mine are mounted off fixed glass on the front of driver side door.

The best option are side cameras, though not focussed on the actual side window.
I have this for a 360 coverage, though not right up against the car as that wouls nessitate much wider field of view on the side cameras ( side cameras mounted off fixed glass on rear doors )

Welcome to DCT @yodamin :)
I've posted a reply on your other thread, hope it helps!

Phil

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated.

@SawMaster - every bit helps I am sure:)
@kamkar

"Cameras that are mounted so they can be swiveled are few and far between, not least if it also have to be a dual channel system"

-- I see that now, I did a bit of google research after posting this and found 3 that swivel and only one that comes close to what I want
I know dashcams have been around for a while so I thought they had come further than they actually have

Optimally, I'd like a dash cam that covers/replaces the windshield mirror with a camera facing the drivers side window (not the inside of the car like the ones for Uber and taxi's and so on), one front facing, one facing the passenger side window and a rear facing camera - so four cameras for 360 degree coverage

I would settle for a dual dash camera and maybe the option to spin it towrds the driver side window to reecord those traffic stops - I think I found one but have to research a bit more.

Seems to me that, even though I believe the dash-cam itself should be capable of high speed read/write / copy/pasting it is not the way it is and, to avoid frustrating myself further I should be taking the advice of people who know - I'll grab an external card reader soon.

we have one that meets all your requirements, in saying that though trying to swivel it when it has rear camera connected is not practical and I wouldn't suggest it anyway given that's your intention, as was pointed out elsewhere a dedicated camera looking out the window would be better for that purpose, that would also give you a lot more options for dual channel cameras to choose from

Many of us here have 4-sided coverage to at least some degree. It does take multiple cams, and we all use a different approach. What you want to achieve is possible but perhaps not with your desired approach and not with your budget. 4-channel cams like mirror cams seem to be a great idea but the devil is in the details, and both present problems which cannot be easily overcome.

I'd suggest that you study 2-channel cams including remote cam systems, and to plan on using the across-cabin mounting I mentioned for the side cams to get the best 'standing at the window' pics. This is likely the simplest and maybe the best approach IMHO, and it gives you the most cam options. If you want external powering for the cams that may take more than one device based on how long you want to record on one charge and whether recharging as you drive is viable. This will definitely exceed your stated budget if it's done with good cams and powerbank systems and using anything lesser isn't really a good idea. If need be, a system like this could be built in stages, getting what you can afford as you go along and installing what is most important to you first.

We're mostly dashcam enthusiasts here, and all we want is for all dashcam owners to be satisfied with their cams. Even the dashcam manufacturers here will usually recommend the cam best suited for you even if it's not one of theirs. If you'll make a list of exactly what you want from most important feature to least important, then we can point yo0u to what we think are your best options and you can choose from there. A listed maximum budget can help with that but know that you don't get what you don't pay for so if the budget is not realistic the best we can do is meet your other expectations as cheaply as we feel possible and let you deal with the raised budget it requires. What we won't do is knowingly lead you toward cams and parts which are not worth buying, and there's plenty of them out there masquerading as good stuff when they really aren't.

Phil

The problem with the cameras that can swivel is that most often this mean the mount are weak and if that is the case you can get jello in the footage if you drive on a bumpy road.
Also if you have seen any dashcam crash videos where right after the crash the camera just film the skies, well thats probably as it have been swung forward by the crash forces.

You can also just buy a little cheap camera just for swinging around or permanent aimed at you in the driver seat beside the door window, maybe something like the new blueskysea B2K, but of course that require more space not least as it is on a suction cup mount.
Personally i cant do what you want to do, cuz when i have been pulled over i get out of my car,,,,,,, which you can still do just fine in Denmark.

Alternative there are the 3 channel cameras, here if you are not a uber driver you could mount the cabin camera so it mainly face the window / driver, but as far as i know all cabin cameras in 3 channel systems can not be swivled around either, so you are going to take a bet on where someone will show up in that case.

It's also worth noting that here in the US when you get stopped by the Police they will approach the passenger window instead so that they're not being exposed to moving traffic beside the road. If there are two of them they often approach both sides together. Reaching to tuern a cam will likely be seen by them so if the idea was to film them surreptitiously that gets lost in turning a cam.

So really the best solution needs 4-sided coverage here, or the dropping of the rear cam and a 3-channel system configured to capture the sides. What the OP wants can be done but it will take a change in their approach- mostly the budget if they can't lessen their cam requirements- and which way they choose to approach it is up to them.

Phil

I am okay getting their picture as they approach my car, for the rest i can make do with the audio.

Back