Recent crash - advice needed.

Strider

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a crash, someone side swiped my vehicle, hitting hit it on the side of the wrap around front bumper.

They're claiming I rear ended them (nonsense), the dash cam caught everything, but it's 140+ degree lens makes everything at the side of the view appear as though it's in front, and I can see the 3rd party insure trying to use this to justify their claim. It doesn't help that the bonnet/hood rolls off and can't be fully seen by the camera, leaving around 30-40cm of invisible space.

Anyone got any idea what I could do show a true representation of this collision?

I'm using a personally modified SJ4000 action camera, with a wider that standard lens, if anyone wants to know.

Pull still images, draw lines representing perspective. Or if you're good with video editors, draw them directly onto the video.

Do you have any previous footage from the camera where you were parked in a car park, with cars to the front and side of you in close proximity? Or can you go out and obtain such video footage now?

I wouldn't mess with the footage in any way making comparison video is a good idea. You could even use yourself as a marker, standing at different points and hitting the hood to show you're to the side of the car

^^ I thought about that, maybe find the same type of vehicle and get up to the collision point, get out take photos etc. But it could get tricky if the owner spots me. It'd be really hard to get it lined up too. I could use poles or markers to show the front corner positions, but the car has very rounded corners, making it hard to really say what is the front and what is the side.

Also considered applying lens correction on a separate clip, but even that doesn't really put things into perspective properly.

As for the bonnet/hood length I tried using an object on the bonnet/hood horizon and then took the camera out to show that the object was less than half way down it. This worked "ok", but it'd need some explaining.

Turn on the camera, then with it recording, remove it and turn it to show the sides of the hood and A pillars

Video vertical standards in contact with and equally spaced around the front perimeter of your vehicle.
Camera must be in same orientation.
Make an external perspective image to show position of standards.
Try image from front, side, and ABOVE.
Use a qualified assistant as a witness to the process.

Last edited:
Park behind another car and use large tape measure or a cardboard with marked measurements to show actual distance at varies angle while recording.

Back