Recently got into an accident and cant make out the license plate from my dashcam

Strobed

Reaction score
Country
United States
As the title says i was wondering if there was a way to make it so it was possible to see the plate number? since it was night time it looks as if the plate is just a wall of light. Even if it was a small
scrape i would still like to know his plate numbers. In the video you can see that he has a left turn signal on and as i was coming in he tries to merge right and try to make me rear end him?
after the small collision he darts off and makes a run for it. As someone who is very knew to this any help or information on what to do would be very helpful. Thank you for your time.

Edit:I am using the
Yi Technology 2MP Rearview Mirror Dash Camera 89029

I hope you have a higher resolution video than the 240p that you posted. Plates are nearly impossible to read at 1080 - with that resolution there is exactly zero chance of getting any detail.

Capturing plated in low light ( dont even have to be full blown night ) are the biggest challenge for any camera.
In general i say if the aggregate speed between camera car and target car are bigger than walking speed then the chance of capturing a plate diminish rapid.

This is a general issue related to the technology available today in consumer cameras, we will probably have to make do with little improvements for the foreseeable future.

Best fix are to have MIC on and call out the plate as you see it,,,, though i must also admit my own old tired eyes, they dont seem to work for this, maybe its my abused brain too, but i have tested this some times and really i cant see and register the plate fast enough at most higher speeds, and day or night dont really matter for me.

Maybe its not only reading glasses i need, though i dont feel a problem at range and shooting i can still poor pellet after pellet thru the hole the first pellet made.

Video is currently unavailable.
Did you perhaps link the video as soon as it got uploaded before it managed to process into a 1080p version?

The ability to read a license plate. Just let me tell you now that reading license plate is a MYTH! Yes, I'm sure you have seen a lot of comparison video and how they show freeze frame from varies cameras (even on the same vehicle) and how some camera seems to read plates better than other. The truth is that being able to read a plate depends on so many other factors that it often seems more luck than the ability of the camera. Here's a few factors that will affect your camera performance.

a) Your windshield angle and curvature, how much glass you have to see through and the angle can make a noticeable difference. For clear front and back view. A straighter window like those on a bus or pickup offers the least distortion while a sharper angle on something like a sport sedan might have more distortion and pickup more reflection from the dash . The curvature of the window also matters. It all depends on the curvature of the camera lens vs the curvature of the windshield. The closer match between the 2, the less distortion. But in general, don't count on reading plate at more than 20ft and often less especially for vehicles to the side in other lane.

b) The color, shape and material of your dash surface matter. The flatter the dash and the lighter the color, the better chance that you will get a fairly amount of reflection onto the windshield during the day and under bright sunlight. While you eyes tends to automatically dismiss the reflection. They will show up as bright area on the recorded image and may interfere with you ability to read a plate that's right in front of you.

c) The speed differential between the 2 vehicle. Speed differential makes a lot of difference. I would say that your chance of being able to read a plate on another vehicle traveling more than +/- 10 mph compare to you is almost nil.

d) Low light opens another can of worm. It's depends a lot the type of sensor, the angle between the two cars, the brightness of your and the other car's headlight/taillight, the color of the car, the color and contrast of you country/state's license plate, the amount of ambient light from street lights, buildings, signs and other vehicles on the road with you and how much reflection you're getting in combination,

All that said, some unit does work a bit better than others in some circumstances. 4K unit tends to let you read a plate a bit further away and a 60 frame/sec unit tends to have a larger speed differential margin. But compounded with all the factors above, the actual difference (being to read the same license at 25ft vs 20ft or while a car is travelling +/- 15 mph vs +/- 10 mph) is just not something you can depend upon despite all the caught on camera clips you see on Youtube.

Last edited:
The ability to read a license plate. Just let me tell you now that reading license plate is a MYTH! Yes, I'm sure you have seen a lot of comparison video and how they show freeze frame from varies cameras (even on the same vehicle) and how some camera seems to read plates better than other.

there's some videos around like that that are very heavily edited in an attempt to make some cameras look better than others

Some very good software out there ..
Some very good cameras out there
Some very good fake video out there
Yeah , there is fake video out there . Got a camera that sux's ? Just post some fake video to make it look good .
+ A camera that is steady VS a camera that is moving , so many variables ..
You would need very high resolution and a decent frame rate to capture plates .
Not sure the cams are out there yet @ our price points ..
Unless you have like 10 or 20 G to throw at the problem

Many commercials for dash cameras featuring night time footage, do note that the night time footage are all in a town lit up like Las Vegas, and the aggregate speed of the vehicles in the video are very small.
And if thats the case then sure you can get just fine working low light plate capture performance, but most of us dont drive that slow or in that slow moving traffic at night.

So for the scenarios most of us experience at night, then dashcams leave a lot to be desired.

While hit and run are on the up here due to the cultural decline in society, then this issue are not anything that worry with the way my insurance are put together. only if it happen more than 2 times in a year will my premium go up.

Back