Recommedations for interior dash cam for Uber/Lyft driver

j_fo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dear Gang,
I'm a newbie to the dashcam industry. I have a Kenwood forward facing dashcam installed recently, which I am satisfied with. Now, I'm in the market for an interior rear facing camera to video my passengers and me. This will be for my own personal protection against false claims brought on by immoral riders (yes...it happens). I've seen the Quelimas on Youtube and red a few posts, but I can't figure out which unit has which features come with which model. Before buying a camera, any camera, I'd like to consult the experts on this forum for your recommendation. In short, I'm looking for the following features:
  1. small form factor
  2. loop recording
  3. AV out so I connect it to my Kenwood head unit (I intend to show the riders that they are being recorded and therefore to stop the B.S.)
  4. IR, since I do most of my driving at night
  5. microphone that can catch the dialogue from the back seat, and not just the road noise and the driver's voice
  6. preferably 6x9 aspect ratio and high resolution
I have a good installer that can hard wire everything.
I'd appreciate any feedback you guys may offer.
Kind regards,
J_fo

#3 :)(y)
#6 AV out will probably be 4:3 format and analog TV signal quality, your main unit might do scaling on it to get it up to 16:9, the recorded video are of course 16:9 HD video.
/me no recommendations to share in regard to Uber/Lyft cameras or if the current models have AV or HDMI out, these outputs seem to slowly go bye-bye from dashcams.

#3 :)(y)
#6 AV out will probably be 4:3 format and analog TV signal quality, your main unit might do scaling on it to get it up to 16:9, the recorded video are of course 16:9 HD video.
/me no recommendations to share in regard to Uber/Lyft cameras or if the current models have AV or HDMI out, these outputs seem to slowly go bye-bye from dashcams.
How about a Wi-Fi dashcam? WiFi connection to view footage, download videos via an APP on your iPhone or Android device.

I save and share dashcam footage via home PC, i barely use my phone to take pictures with its own camera, and if i do i delete it on the phone right after.
But most other people i am sure would love wifi and a APP, i assume OP could have the live fed of the camera going not least if he could have the APP going on his main unit if it is android and camera can stream and record at the same time.
I assume Lyft / uber drivers use a phone to get fares and so on ( both are not legal in Denmark )

1. AV out so I connect it to my Kenwood head unit (I intend to show the riders that they are being recorded and therefore to stop the B.S.)
  2. IR, since I do most of my driving at night
1. I think a flashing red light on the lens is more effective than a video display since they can always see that they are being recorded, it is a constant reminder to behave, or you might want to put it next to a fake lens if you are worried about them steeling the camera.

2. Most of the decent IR cameras are dual cameras, you might get more suggestions if you use your current front camera for the rear window and get a new dual front camera (non IR front view + IR cabin view).

I bet some people wouldent even see a flashing LED unless it was really bright, just look at all the stupid stuff people have already dont in dash or CCTV equipped cars / taxis, them self on a screen down "low" on the dash i am sure people would see more often.

Some of the dual cameras already there like viofo A129 duo will get cameras with IR support soon, and as it is the one remote camera that are IR you can better place it a new place Vs the so called Uber / lyft cameras that have both cameras build into one unit, that can be a issue placing in the car at least if you have some rules for stuff on windscreen or just want things as stealthy as possible.
In my little car i would place the cabin camera on the stalk of my mirror, where i have the B1W at the moment.

Other brands do or will also offer this.

I bet some people wouldent even see a flashing LED unless it was really bright, ...

In my little car i would place the cabin camera on the stalk of my mirror, where i have the B1W at the moment.
Yes, some would miss a flashing LED, especially late at night when they are easy to see! But unless you are providing them with a personal screen in front of each seat with their picture on it then I think a flashing LED up high is more likely to be noticed, plus they don't actually know what it is doing whereas if you show them the image then they can work out where is safely out of sight!

Cabin camera for A129 will sit nicely on top of my rear view mirror, you can't miss a flashing led up there and it has a good view of the cabin.

Back