Recommend me a 2/3 ch with cloud/remote viewing etc

Shiwarrior

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When i get another car, i want to upgrade my Thinkware Q800 PRO to something i can look at from my phone whilst at work . home or even on holiday

I want the usual 2ch , one front,1 rear system , would also like 3rd "IR" one will do, that i can at least get some footage to the side windows

if a 3rd is not really possible, then i could get one of those home CCTV battery operated ones that
link to "cloud", i could buy a go pro mount and put that someone in the car (maybe 2 camera for this, 1 each side ?)

suggestions please :)

Remote viewing are barely a option in dashcams, but a select few blackvue and thinkware cameras do support it as i recall.
More will also come, this kind of smarts are what will be driving dashcam sales sooner or later.

Ideal you will have a mobile router build into the camera like the new X blackvue, so you just shove a sim card in the camera too, other "old" solutions require a separate mobile access point, this just add to the "complexity" but it can be done too.

Personally i am not getting a camera for features like that, but i recon sooner or later it will be all over like wifi are now.
I do have remote access to my home CCTV system, not that i need to but its there and a few clicks on my phone and i can view my cameras from anywhere.

3 channel systems are also just coming out now, but as i am aware none of them have any smarts like that.

Last edited:
x series looks good

might have to get a 750x with the optional LTE connectivity module

its not 4K , but good enough ?

4K cameras still have their drawbacks in regard to low light performance, not that they are garbage when the light fade, but they are not as good as the best 1080p performers in low light.
I am exited about 4K in Dahscams, but the current models on offer do not make me scrape the inside of my piggy bank and retire a 1080p system, but i have high hopes for the #2 generation, though this year cameras technically are #2 Generation.
Maybe if i was loaded, but i am living on a meager Danish pension.

Yeah with a build in "phone" you also have to make sure it is on bands supported by your carrier.

as long as o2 works in them, id be happy

so what's the difference between the 750s and 750x then in terms of rote access ?

I guess it's between buying the LTE module separately, or having it already inside the camera? Gives you a very big not-discreet patch to stick somewhere.

Yeah. If i was to go this smart camera route i for sure would like all the bells and whistles inside the same package.

I guess it's between buying the LTE module separately, or having it already inside the camera? Gives you a very big not-discreet patch to stick somewhere.
There's also the consideration of heat which will be higher when all the components are in the same 'box', especially at the windshield ;)

Phil

@SawMaster my personal point of view is more on stealth factor. Hiding the 4G device would mean reducing signal reception? Having it on the dash/windscreen is a lot of unwanted attention on top of the camera itself.

BlackVue has some WiFi-only models with cloud features. I wonder how much better it'll be if we installed industrial grade automotive modems and just let the camera hang onto the WiFi spot from there. Of course there's extra battery drain to contend with, but I think the external antenna and larger circuit board will give more stable connectivity.

Stealth and any other aspect of dashcams does not matter if a camera isn't working because of overheating. Any non-working device is useless, so if having the parts separated allows functionality when combining the parts won't, then combining them is a rather stupid approach. Ideally I think all the functions not absolutely needed to record images and sound should be located away from the cam. Having them integrated into the car is probably the best approach as that can let each thing be optimized for that car which will also aid in eliminating the EMI problems some people have now.

We don't all live in hotter locations but we all do have to deal with the conditions wherever we live, so for some of us high cam temperature and how well it's dealt with becomes a more important aspect than any other. If you're willing to take your chances that a cam will be working when you need it then you might as well not have a cam at all.

Phil

Check out where they suggest for you to put the 4G module tho :unsure:

1612675611168.png

Their recommended installation isn't smart, but that doesn't make the idea itself stupid. BV's newer cams aren't known for being high-heat tolerant anyway, so I wouldn't recommend or use them in the hotter climates anyway.

Phil

so a 750 LTE seems to be the way to go

looked at prices, and they are more expensive than the "x" version
but with the x , you need to buy the LTE module , which then costs the same...

so a 750 LTE seems to be the way to go

looked at prices, and they are more expensive than the "x" version
but with the x , you need to buy the LTE module , which then costs the same...

I think you actually save some money with the integrated LTE modem. Based on blackvue.com, with the smallest memory card bundle :

DR750X-2CH - $389 + CM100LTE - $169 = $558
DR750-2CH LTE - $439

PS: Checked blackvue.uk and it seems to be similar situation:

DR750X-2CH - £379.95 + CM100LTE - £169.95 = £549.90
DR750-2CH LTE - £499.95

yeah, i noticed it on Halfords (im in the UK)

£605 for the 750x "bundle"
£555 for the 750x + LTE miodule seperate
£500 for the 750 LTE

Would anyone recommend a Thinkware U1000 in this scenario?
I am considering this, with a battery back up and a separate LTE module.. however the cloud features per reviews are .... not so good

Back