Recommend Me a Dash Cam - What should I buy?

Dashmellow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Umpteen
There are so many threads now here at DashCamTalk where someone new to the technology shows up and asks for help selecting their first Dash Cam that it seems a little out of control and more and more redundant. A lot of people even apologize for being a "newbie" or about posting "yet another thread" about this topic. How about creating a central location, maybe a sticky, or perhaps it's own sub forum (edit: The idea is to use the title I've used for this thread) where new members can come to ask questions, state their needs and solicit recommendations?

Last edited:
I agree might be a good sticky

Glad to finally see a dedicated "What should I buy?" forum. As DCT continues to grow I think it will prove to be a good move. Thanks DashCamMan.

Last edited:
it comes down to what you want to use it for and how good of quality

also it come down to what you want to pay

me just simple police and lawyer quality is all i wanted so i bought my camera for this because it fit this and had good reviews this site and you tube can show pics from the different brands

i also got mine because it has rear camera i have been rear ended before so that was a must and i fount it on sale for around $50 us dollars

been happy ever since only thing lcd is useless just good for menu it looks black at night take card home you got crystal clear night images still good camera

Glad to finally see a dedicated "What should I buy?" forum. As DCT continues to grow I think it will prove to be a good move. Thanks DashCamMan.
I was a little confused at first because I just always click the recent post tab and was like Hey wait all these threads are together now how did this get here?
Glad to see it as well

i like you tube there's that dash guy no bs just honest reviews that what sealed it for me and price

i would love to neutral no opinion test things but my dash cam is on the permanent mount so i wouldn't want t screw around with a bunch more

only thing i noticed about this cam i the second rear view sometimes looks better than the front lol

i like you tube there's that dash guy no bs just honest reviews that what sealed it for me and price

i would love to neutral no opinion test things but my dash cam is on the permanent mount so i wouldn't want t screw around with a bunch more

only thing i noticed about this cam i the second rear view sometimes looks better than the front lol

@oppconsulting.........Despite the title of this thread it is in the Forum Rules and Site Suggestions forum and is therefore not the place to post this kind of stuff. Your posts here should really be in the new "What Should I buy?" forum that was proposed in this thread.

very sorry about that i will try my best to watch that in future posts

thanks so much for bringing it up to my attention

have a great one

I've noticed that as time goes by more and more new members are asking for advice about which camera to purchase in the "General Dash Cam Discussion" forum instead of the "What Should I Buy?" forum. There were at least three such posts just yesterday alone that I know of..... Here - Here & Here. In the long run, these posts just clutter up the General Discussion forum with stuff that doesn't belong there and perhaps other visitors looking for recommendations in the What Should I Buy Forum won't benefit from them since they will be buried somewhere in the other forums.

I've been watching this happening for quite some time and one thing is obvious; some people are just lazy and don't bother to look at how this forum is categorized the same way they often don't bother to look at the wealth of information available here before asking questions about potential camera purchases that have been answered countless times elsewhere. Maybe there should be a notice somewhere reminding people to post in the appropriate forums?

But there is another possible contributing factor. The "What Should I Buy?" forum is located all the way over in the third column on the right on the lists of discussion categories, kind of isolated among non related subjects.
If that forum was moved over to the first column, just below the General Dash Cam Discussions and just above the related "Side by Side Comparison" forum it would be much harder for newcomers to miss it when they are looking for options about where to post their request. Perhaps this might cut down on the out of place posts without requiring any sort of further moderator intervention or effort?

forums.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks DCM! Hopefully this will cut down on out-of-place postings. One question though....I notice the "Side by Side Comparisons" is now over in the right hand column where the "What Should I Buy?" forum was previously. Those two categories really seem quite related to one another, much more so than the "Batteries & Capacitors" forum. Might it make sense to have all the "purchase decision" categories all over in one place on the left side and stick the batteries category over on the other side?

Back