Recommend small form-factor and no screen [Pricerange: $10 - $100]

jeez123

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR650S-2CH
Hi guys,
Searching for a tiny small form-factor cam for my D-pillar windows.
The quality vs. price is only needed to be "decent", as my primary footage will be from my Blackvue-setup. I only need the D-pillar cams for "secondary source".

Looked at Aukey DR01 (but it has a screen...) and the SG11 (MJPEG - no thanks) and some random generic no-name dashcams.
I do however like the SG11 design, but only if it could provide with reasonable x264-encoding instead of the crappy MJPEG.

Couldn't find specs on the Quelima SG12, does anyone know if it's better than the SG11's MJPEG-codec?

Any recommendations you guys could throw at me are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Try Blueskysea B1W, it got good reviews from DCT's members

Try Blueskysea B1W, it got good reviews from DCT's members
Not sure the B1W counts as "tiny", but it is thin and is definitely worth considering.

None of the genuine "tiny" cameras are good cameras, most are still stuck on MJPEG, they do have their uses, but for long term dashcam use a B1W is a much better choice.

Think i might go with the B1W. I bought the DR650 because of the tube-design. It's sleek enough that it can fit anywhere. Not many cams with that kind of form besides the Blueskyesea.

Only one "problem" with the B1W, it is only adjustable in up and down direction, so the angle it film in ( front to rear ) will be whatever your glass is.
If you go off the surrounding plastic trim you might be able to change the angle a little, i think i personally would like the camera aimed forward a little when mounted back there.

That could be overcome by using a plastic wedge, cutting it to size and using some 3M double adhesive tape so the cam would be angled slightly forward instead of 90 degrees of the cars right/left side.

To some degree yes, but the B1W have the lens at one end and the mount at the other, so the angle can only be so large before the lens or that end at least touch the glass.

Ill go grab my B1W and take a picture or two of it, so you have something to make a judgment by.

As you can see the angle cant me changed much in the mount end before the other end get near to the glass, but some it can, also the part on the glass give 2-3 mm more to make good with.

IMG_20180701_222017.jpg

This is as it would be installing a B1W on the R side of your car, dashcam slide backwards and onto the mounting bracket.

Not trying to talk you out of it, the B1W will be a excellent side camera i think, just making sure you know as much as possible before you pull the triggger on 2 cameras.

If you are near Randers, you are welcome to try mine for a mock-up check to get the feel.

Mobius, M1.
Although it has not been out very long the mobius maxi appears to be a better cam.
It fits the requested profile and once proven for a few months should be a good choice.

It did also take a year or maybe more if you ask some to get the most performance out of the Mobius, and i think its at least the same with any camera made since then.

I have not yet compared the Maxi footage to that of my IMX 291 sensor DC front camera, but its on the to do list.

As you can see the angle cant me changed much in the mount end before the other end get near to the glass, but some it can, also the part on the glass give 2-3 mm more to make good with.

View attachment 39591

This is as it would be installing a B1W on the R side of your car, dashcam slide backwards and onto the mounting bracket.

Not trying to talk you out of it, the B1W will be a excellent side camera i think, just making sure you know as much as possible before you pull the triggger on 2 cameras.

If you are near Randers, you are welcome to try mine for a mock-up check to get the feel.
If you use a thick wedge then you gain some extra space so there is no problem, except if it is too thick then the wedge will start to get into the image.

Alternatively you can turn the camera upside down so that the mount is on the other side, and then probably mount it on the door pillar.

Although it has not been out very long the mobius maxi appears to be a better cam.
It fits the requested profile and once proven for a few months should be a good choice.
No supercapacitor yet, the mount is not as neat if you are attaching it to glass, and I doubt it will match the B1W for recording number plates in low bitrate video.

I got some small (and by small i mean tiny), wedges laying around in the shed, will probably try that as the first solution. If it doesn't work out with the lens in the other end, i might probably just mount it vertically on the D-pillar.
I can see the angle can't be adjusted that much, but a couple of degrees should mostly be what is needed, i think.

Thanks for the photos Kamkar1, decided to order the B1W tonight, so will probably be posting when i got it setup. :)

Back