recommendation for a durable and high storage capacity dashcam

azr93

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
Hello, looking for a durable dashcam that can support atleast 512gb. Needs to be durable as it will be in a remote location with the vehicle mostly out in the sun reaching peaks at 45C or 113F. Should be somewhat discrete.

Welcome to DCT @azr93 :)
Few cams can handle that kind of heat and none are really meant for that. Inside a closed car, those heats outside will be much higher inside. The original Mobius with supercaps would be my choice. You'll need to buy the mount and power supply- it doesn't come with those- and that might extend to the supercaps too. It's normally sold as a battery-equipped cam and you have to swap to the caps yourself. That's easy to do, just two small phillips screws and one plug. People have used 512GB cards with them, but I'm not sure which brands/type would be best as they've all changed since there was much discussion of this cam. Also would be best if you can mouint it back out of the direct sunlight, which it's form-factor accommodates. You might experience some focus shift, but that will probably happen with any cam at those heat levels.

Phil

Blueskysea B2W?

Not sure about the heat tolerance, and it is not very discrete, but it will do the memory requirement, I've not heard of any overheating, and the specification eliminated everything else I thought of!

Maybe @estore009 could comment on the heat...

Should be okay for UAE weather, working temperature up to 158°F

Yes but 45 C / 113F thats just the temperature outside in the shade, a car parked in the sun the cabin would probably be close to bursting into fire.
I dont think it is doable, and also you have to do something about the car battery that will power the camera, it will have to be a big one to sit there and fill a 512 GB memory card with reasonable bitrate video.

Ther heats I experience aren't quite this high, but TBH I've never had any cam totally fail in the heat. I( have had battery problems in cams equipped with those and I have seen temporary focus shift which became OK when the cam cooled. But the conditions the OP will see in a parked closed car are severe, and high-bitrate or 2-channel cams are going to be pushing the limits. If there's any dashcam which can survive this it's Mobius. If it weren't this severe I'd suggest a few others as possibilities.

Phil

Back