Recommendation for Mobius USB Cable Replacement

meelos

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

After reading the Mobius set up pdf, I was a bit intimidated by the cable warnings and the pin talk because most USB cables I see for sale don't mention pins. I know for cable length, shorter is usually better, but I'd like to go longer so I can route it from my rear view mirror around my windshield and connect to my car lighter USB adapter. (I configured in software to start when power is introduced) Can anyone recommend a cable (roughly 15 ft, or if lengths that long aren't available, maybe I can go for two 10 footers with a powered hub in the middle) that would work so I don't "destroy my camera beyond repair..."

Thank you.

Hi Gabacho-

Thanks for the welcome and the guidance. While this product (http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5450) appears to have the right connections and length, is there anything else I should look for to ensure it's compatible with the Mobius and won't cause issues? I'm not even sure what a "special" cable is that the manual references, but still want to be sure I'm not ordering one by mistake. ;)

From Mobius Manual:

The camera requires a standard USB cable for charging or connecting to external battery packs for continuous recording. A standard USB cable is also used to connect the camera to the PC in order to set the parameters or access the camera as an external disk or webcam.
A/V-out (or Video-Out) requires a special cable where pin #4 is shorted to pin #5 (ground). When the firmware detects pin #4 connected to ground it will output the video signal on pin #2 and the audio signal on pin #3. Special cables can be ordered from the supplier in the form of a harness or you can make one yourself using a 5-pin mini USB plug. You can also modify a Smartphone OTG (On The Go) cable which already has pins #4 and #5 shorted in the mini USB plug. The audio signal is only available in playback mode. The #16 "special" cable will not work with this camera.
You must under no circumstances use any other "special" cable, especially the "special" cable supplied
with the #11. Doing so will destroy your camera beyond repair. So, do not use a #11 "special" cable under any circumstances.

@meelos that appears to be the same cable that I purchased from them, and it works just fine for my Mobius. I purchased the A/V out cable from http://www.buymobius.com/collection...able-for-the-1080p-mobius-actioncam-hd-camera but have not used it as of now. I also have a couple of USB extension cables as well, and they work. My camera is hardwired so I am using these cables when I use either my HP tablet, or Dell computer to set the parameters. I really am not that technically advanced to explain or understand all of this about pins etc. Sorry

No apologies necessary. Just trying to make sure I don't cook my cam before I get to play with it. :)

I'm sure the standard one from the link will be fine. Thanks again!

I've been using some USB cables from Amazon with the 'cable matters' brand. They have lengths up to 15 feet. Work OK, and the wire is a bit thinner overall than your typical USB cable.

I've been using some USB cables from Amazon with the 'cable matters' brand. They have lengths up to 15 feet. Work OK, and the wire is a bit thinner overall than your typical USB cable.
How are you powering dashcams? hard wired or cigarette USB? I don't want to hardwire and hence planning to use cigarette USB outlet. Just not too sure if its within the limits of USB 2.0 I read somewhere max length is 12ft or 3 meters, after that you need a kind of booster. Can anyone confirm?

Back