Recommendations for a discreet camera mainly used at night

rsmck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius, Transcend DP200, K1S
So, after about seven years my Transcend DP200 has finally failed (well, to be fair it just needed new capacitors, but in attempting to replace them I desoldered another SMD component by mistake, so it's now most definitely dead - oops!) - I think whatever I get I'd like to mount similarly to the one I linked to above (I took the camera apart and mounted the actual camera module within a piece of existing trim) because it gets the best view around the huge obstacle the cluster of OEM vision-assisted systems whilst being very discrete.

Whilst I know it's a big ask of any small sensor, I do most of my driving at night, so that's when the quality is more important.

I'm looking for something to replace it, at the time if was one of the better performers at night (our other vehicle has a K1S and it's terrible by comparison) but despite it still being a current model it seems, technology has moved on and I'm sure there's better options now!

I'm quite drawn to the 70mai A800 from various clips I've seen (and I reckon I could make the camera module 'remote' as I did with the DP200 quite easily) but can't get over the forced watermark/osd that can't be disabled, so looking at other options such as the Thinkware U1000, Vantrue N1 Pro, Viofo A139, perhaps the Kenwood DRV-A601W.

Ultimately; must have wifi, I'd rather it didn't have a screen but that's basically the A139 and nothing else, good images at night.

Any recommendations? Anyone with similar requirements that has found their ideal dashcam?

The IMX 291 is the top low-light sensor. Can't speak of remoting it.

Phil

Back