Recommendations for front and rear dashcams while pulling a 34 foot trailer?

Jack Roth

Reaction score
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
We're starting to travel with a 3/4 ton pickup and 34 foot 5th wheel RV. As expected and reasonable, other drivers don't like being behind us and often go around (we're big & slow). Sometimes, they cut a little too close in front. With a diesel engine in front and a total weight of 20,000 pounds, we drive carefully, and we're still looking to avoid (losing) lawsuits.

Here's what we're looking for in a rear & front dashcam:
- Cost: up to $500 each, will go higher if necessary, prefer something in the $300 range
- Separate units/manufacturers are ok
- 12v connectors are available close to front of truck and rear of trailer
- 1 hour+ recording
- Automatic overwriting
- Discrete
- Additional monitors not needed or desired (we already have GPS, Backup/traffic, and vehicle displays in the cab)
- Front camera just needs to record
- Key plus, not required: Rear camera supports recording locally, monitor remotely. A signal strong enough to reach 50 feet from the rear of the RV to the GPS in the truck cab. A wireless to wired adapter need be available so it can plug into our Good Sam 7735 GPS (1 plug video in) allowing the dashcam to double as a rear traffic camera.
- Plus, not required: G-force trigger, more important for front, less for rear
- Plus, not required: 2-4 second buffer, more important for front, less for rear
- Plus, not required: Movement detection

Questions?
Recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Jack Roth

Last edited:
xiayomi and blackview, both are close to what's required, but not 100% fit....
Suppliers-members might be having better (and higher price bracket, still under your budget) suggestions. ;)

I think to find front dashcam it will not be a problem, but as I understood - for rear recording you need a waterproof lens dashcam, right ?

I assume you have some sort of large window in the back of the RV?
Is it heavily tinted, or have some sort of cover?
If not heavily tinted or otherwise has some form of travel cover, (Think those are usually on the front), I'd just stick something on the rear window, suction cup mount or adhesive mount. The amount of saved footage will depend on the resolution and card size, but you can easily get 6-8 hours.
I'm not sure you'll find anything reliable for the rear that has the wireless capabilities you look for.

I'd splurge on the front cam, and just get some reliable cam to stick in the back window of the RV, with a largish card.

For the rear and an inside-mount I'd recommend a Mobius used solo. Good video, tiny form factor, large card support, excellent tech support and firmware updates, multiple lenses to choose from, very robust and reliable. Takes a little more work to set up than most as it's more an action cam than dashcam. No WiFi, may need a P/S and a mount (check seller's listing), needs a SD card (most cam's will), not available with super-caps but can easily be converted with just a screwdriver.

Many cams list motion detect and G-sensor features but relatively few actually perform those functions well. Most don't have pre-buffering for emergency events. Mobius is also somewhat lacking here but if it will serve OK like that, you'll have more $$$ to spend on a better front cam which usually matters more.

Phil

Mobius is a great recommendation. Very versatile and can be mounted practically anywhere. There is an entire thread on mounting ideas.

For the rear.. perhaps consider a WiFi enabled security camera along the lines of a baby monitor.. something that will record to a SD memory card yet use WiFi to view live or copy files. As you have 120V in the 5th wheel power supply should not be an issue.

Back