Recommended Fuse Amperage

golden99

Reaction score
To power our new Viofo A119 V3 I used the Viofo Hardwire Kit with two fuse taps plugged into two open fuse outlets, one 12V constant load and one accessory load. I've researched here and elsewhere but cannot find a recommended fuse amperage for the Viofo A119s. I used 10A fuses in both taps and it's working fine but of course I'd like it to be as low as possible to avoid damaging the dash cam in the event of a power surge..

Would the experts here be so kind as to make a recommendation for the fuse amperage?

TIA!

If you dont plan to tint all your cars windoows by plastering them in dashcams, 5 AMPs will be all you ever need.

In my place, only available 2 amps and 5 amps.
Which one should I use?

Today, I found instruction from VIOFO Support Center:

In pdf file, page 6, it shows 2 amps fuse.
Is it means, 2 amps recommended?

how to install ACC hardwire kit_Page_6.jpg

Hi,
I join the discussion.
So 5A is enough for battery wire. and is it 5A for ACC wire too ?

Which circuit do you choose (and avoid) for permanent + and ACC ? (I think cigarette lighter is good for ACC but for permanent ?)
Some fuses locations are unused. Is it dangerous to use it ?

thanks

5A is good with all. 2A is better but not much so is not necessary.

-You should avoid circuits which are safety-related: airbags, ABS, wipers, engine management, and exterior lights are some of these.

-Cigarette lighter circuits vary- some are always on, some operate with the ignition switch, and some will seem to be always on but are timed to turn off after the car is switched off for a set amount of time.

-Unused fuse locations are generally safe to use with dashcams which draw little current.

-Many of today's cars have a computer controlled power scheme, and sometimes tapping into a circuit may cause a trouble-code to be set on the computer indicating a malfunction whee none exists. BMW's are particularly known for this behavior. So you may have trouble finding a circuit which does not do this, or find that they all do this. All you can do is try, and tell us here if you have problems as someone else here may know how to handle this.

-Every car model is different, so for advice and for troubleshooting always mention which car you have.

Phil

On my 2019 FIAT 500L it was quite difficult, as all the fuses were always on, EVEN the electric windows.

My 'elettrauto' had to hunt for a contact and, it ended up under the driver's door...

Well, the 'elettrauto' did all the work, and for a very reasonable amount, and you can only see the last 10cm of cable, from where it exits to where it connects to the Cam, too bad FIAT decided to put everything always on, or it would have been more straightforward...

I received the hardwire kit for a119 V3, and the add a fuse tap (2) with 20 amp yellow fuses????

I received the hardwire kit for a119 V3, and the add a fuse tap (2) with 20 amp yellow fuses????

This is the second instance I've seen of this. It is unsafe with 20A fuses, you need to replace them. Anything between 2A and 5A is ideal.

Phil

Thanks for your reply, I've messaged blac

Received a reply from the seller, BBMC, they said that they only had 20 amp fuses and that they would be fine!

No way. To be safe with a 20A fuse would require the use of 12ga wiring, and the kit's wiring can't even carry 10A safely. Look at any wire size chart online- you'll see.
HERE's a Google Search, pick any one.

@BlackboxMyCar You should be fixing this issue before you end up paying for a burned up BMW :eek: If you're receiving them this way the supplier needs to reimburse you for changing to safe fuses or to RMA the whole defective shipment.

Phil

No way. To be safe with a 20A fuse would require the use of 12ga wiring, and the kit's wiring can't even carry 10A safely. Look at any wire size chart online- you'll see.
HERE's a Google Search, pick any one.

@BlackboxMyCar You should be fixing this issue before you end up paying for a burned up BMW :eek: If you're receiving them this way the supplier needs to reimburse you for changing to safe fuses or to RMA the whole defective shipment.

Phil
Thanks for your reply, I agree with you completely and said as much to BBMC.

Back