Recommended memory card for Viofo 129

jomanjee

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
I have finally ordered the Viofo 129 Duo and shall receive it tomorrow, i was planning to put in a mainstream 128 GB SDXC sandisk (class) SDXC (mainly for android):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112481494043
It will still work though on any device...

but am having second thoughts to not destroy that card as i heard dash cams are write intensive devices etc... so do you guys recommend a 256 GB Card or 128 should be enough ?... will something like the above work ? or do i need a high endurance card like from samsung ?...

on a side note, how many hours will i be able to record in parking mode for both the 128 GB and 256 GB ?..

thanks,

Those cards are fine, just make sure you buy from a reputable source, lots of fakes sold online

Looking at the link, it looks like it's just a Sandisk Ultra, not the Ultra A1.

Lst I read, one should get the Ultra A1 card and avoid the regular Ultra. Does it still hold true or have the Ultra card's been updated?

Looking at the link, it looks like it's just a Sandisk Ultra, not the Ultra A1.

Lst I read, one should get the Ultra A1 card and avoid the regular Ultra. Does it still hold true or have the Ultra card's been updated?

Why should we get the ones marked A1 (of course class 10) regardless of card size ??... Can someone elaborate please ?...

One more thing, am not sure which parking mode ill be using on my new viofo 129 duo, seamless, low bitrate, regular, motion detection, which size i need to get 128 GB is enough ? or is 256 way too much to consider ?...

thanks,

Why should we get the ones marked A1 (of course class 10) regardless of card size ??... Can someone elaborate please ?...

One more thing, am not sure which parking mode ill be using on my new viofo 129 duo, seamless, low bitrate, regular, motion detection, which size i need to get 128 GB is enough ? or is 256 way too much to consider ?...

thanks,

From my understanding the older Ultra cards had an issue with their controller. It was a bit to aggressive and would lock the card up if an error popped up.

As for the A1 card, I think it's their newest budget card and uses a new controller. Supposedly, it's a good card and a lot of dealers and manufacturers are selling the Ultra A1 card.

Here's some info on micro SD cards.

Good Luck!

In terms of reliability, is something like the:
Samsung 256GB EVO Plus Micro SDXC C10/U3/4K R:100MB/s & W:90MB/s -MB-MC256GA
More Reliable and faster than the:
SanDisk Ultra 256GB microSDXC UHS-I card with Adapter - SDSQUAR-256G-GN6MA

?...

A lot of cards will work but will work only for a limited amount of time so it all depends on length of time you want to keep buying cards which can be anything from a few months recording to a year or so if your lucky and then you get 1s that state that they stand upto so many hours of recording

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190303_072550_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20190303_072550_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 26
Very true DMW, is about luck if you go with regular cards.
I also ordered a Samsung Evo Plus 128Gb as best value money/capacity/viability. I hope to not failed me when I will need it. On 2 years warranty i hope to not have problems. And i hope that in 1 or 2 years the Endurance cards for 24h recording will be more accessible for larger capacity.
Currently the 64Gb is not enough for a dash cam that use parking mode and dual camera and the rest are to expensive.

And the bigger the card the more time it takes to constantly record over and over extending the life of the card for that bit longer as well

sounds great guys, the only issue i can find samsung High Endurance cards in capacities over 128 GB, are there any other High-Endurance out there with 256 GB ??... i think if that didnt work out ill stick to the samsung Evo 256 GB, any sub-model someone can recommend or all will work ?.. (such as A1 in sandisk etc..)

thanks,

My A129

Attachments

• 20190304_150950.jpg
    20190304_150950.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20190304_151044.jpg
    20190304_151044.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190304_150927.jpg
    20190304_150927.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20190304_151233.jpg
    20190304_151233.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 46
Very true DMW, is about luck if you go with regular cards.
I also ordered a Samsung Evo Plus 128Gb as best value money/capacity/viability. I hope to not failed me when I will need it. On 2 years warranty i hope to not have problems. And i hope that in 1 or 2 years the Endurance cards for 24h recording will be more accessible for larger capacity.
Currently the 64Gb is not enough for a dash cam that use parking mode and dual camera and the rest are to expensive.

Keep in mind, unless the card is specifically designed for dash cam/surveillance use, most manufacturers will NOT honor the warranty if the card is used for these purposes. Generally this will be stated in the fine print.

Yes but Samsung 128GB can be had for $21.

It sure is and for only $21. Why pay more. Honestly IMO its not necessary to get a dash cam only card. If the card wears out you lose $21. You spend more than that on junk food probably. And if it is not oprerational on cam startup you get a warning. I use two EVO cards and my cam runs on low bit rate so its on all the time mostly for parking mode. One is 128GB and the other is 64GB. If there is something I want to review I pull one out and install the other. Havent had any problems.

+1 on using Samsung Evo. I've been running with the 128Gb Evo Select for 5 months without issue.

For the price these days, you can pick up 2 and alternate, see here. I'm also waiting for the price of the 256Gb to come down a bit more and may consider getting one.

Yup, to add to that, unless you have an unlimited budget for a very high capacity "dash cam specific" card, I think one is better off with a high capacity EVO card. I run my cam in low bit rate mode 24x7 and I can tell you 128GB gives you about two days of videos only. So if there is something you want to review and say well I will get to it later it will be written over. I put a 64GB one in temporarily and waited a day late and the videos were overwritten. I would much rather have an EVO than a lower capacity "dash cam specific card."

You do realize that you had the incorrect end of the rear camera USB cable plugged in your front camera, right? I assume that it's working for you though.

Just an FYI, no pun intended as I just finished installing mine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You do realize that you had the incorrect end of the rear camera USB cable plugged in your front camera, right? I assume that it's working for you though.

Just an FYI, no pun intended as I just finished installing mine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Makes no odds which cable end goes into with cam as the only difference is 1 end has a right angle and the other is straight, I had to do it the opposite way round as my heated rear windscreen wires came up to much for the straight end to go in so had to use the right angled end for the rear cam

Back