Recording audio legal or illegal..?

dahur1

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in a "one person" state, (New Mexico). I've been considering turning off the audio on my dash cam. The law seems to imply if I'm in a public place, I'm okay even if I'm not present. Any thoughts..? I know I'm ok if I'm in my car, but if it's parked is my concern.

Can't give legal advice obviously but the recording is in your car, even if parked the sounds outside your car might get picked up but they'd still be in public space, the recording is happening inside your closed vehicle

I'm with jokiin.

I wonder what your concern could be? Who is going to know you are recording? Do you mean if you have to present it as evidence? You could always strip out the sound if you need to but I dont thing there is anything illegal with recording video and sound in a public place. People if they see they are being recorded may not like it, but that's different. Using it for other reasons (advertisement, movie, etc) would be illegal without permission from everyone that could be identified. Of course all this differs from country to country.

Im not a lawyer. My dad was a district court judge, so I knew to steer clear of going into law :)

I've found that youtube complains about pre-recorded music in the soundtrack. so I mute that, before uploading them.

david

Youtube has some sort of algorithm that checks for copyrighted songs. Kinda like Soundhound...Could be Soundhound...

Really wish eyefi would make a microsd version so a dashcam could relay the footage to a hidden portable HD.

Back