Recording during car start up

ivantwilliams

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have a dash cam in your car, when you start your, how quickly before the dash cam starts recording?

I have a Garmin 55. There was an issue with my car yesterday. But, upon review of the recordings, the issue happened within 1 minute of the car being started (the driven into a bay to have the oil changed and tyres rotated).
So, park mode worked, then the car is started, and the camera has to 'power on' etcetera. This is normal for about 1 minute of no recording, no?

anything from 3 to 10 seconds is typical, some of the Korean cameras are slow though, 30 seconds plus before they start up

Ah, so this is normal. Still a shame I missed what I wanted to see on the video.

It is ~30 seconds or so. You know it's recording when the red LED on the bottom is on. You can speed it up by accepting the warning manually.

Understood. However, in my instance, a Technician was taking my car to perform an oil change and tyre rotation.
During the process, I believe on driving it into the bay, it was damaged. But, during the initial start up of the car/camera. Thus, it was not on the recording...

It is ~30 seconds or so. You know it's recording when the red LED on the bottom is on. You can speed it up by accepting the warning manually.

Unbroken yes, but almost all cams will boot and begin recording in under 5 seconds (many are faster still) so I wouldn't call it "normal". Of my many cams, one does take 9 seconds to boot (B2W), the others are all going in 2-5 seconds. This includes some 2-channel cams.

Garmin does good cams, but sometimes their approach still shows something of a gap between their way of thinking versus what most cam owners want. They are steadily improving and what they've got right is very right- just a few details like this to go

Phil.

Back