Recording license plates?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Finally installed my ITB-100HD SP. It has a hard time recording license plates at night time. There's a lot of glare making the plate hard to see... Any camera recommendations that get around this?

dashingthrusnow said:
Finally installed my ITB-100HD SP. It has a hard time recording license plates at night time. There's a lot of glare making the plate hard to see... Any camera recommendations that get around this?

Please read my topic regarding when and why any dash cam can't read number plates, what are causes and solutions.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1444&p=14704&hilit=reading+license+plate#p14704

CPL filter will help. You can do DIY polarization filter or must buy from available models like Mio 368 / 388, Finevu CR-500 etc., but there are huge drawbacks as well with CPL lens filters, especially at night. I have explained everything in my topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get T boned from the side the number plate is of no use and the camera would of not picked it up anyway And if you have a accident most people stop.
The only ones who drive off are the ones who hit your car wben your not present

@robertthe great Not necessarily robert if they are un-insured... drunk.....dont have a drivers licence...or are driving a stolen car they are just as likely to run or drive off.... I have cameras front... back and both sides of the car... yes I know overkill....On a lighter note are you related to robert the bruce by any chance .... :)

Where are you driving russia i think thats the only place you need all round cameras . Even then its a very big country so the accidents are only a small per cent
And no not related. Its what some locals called me when working in Algeria one time

The DVR207 i have is good at reading plates when you are close to them ie pulling up behind them at an intersection or following them at low speed

for the price i find this pretty good

what i do is if i see something going on thats caught on film, i read out the make and color of vehicle and read the number plate out aloud, that way its recorded and you dont have to repeat it over and over again into your head until you find a pen and paper

so in the case of you witnessing a hit and run where the guy at fault legs it, if you give the footage to the police, they can review it and take down your verbal description and have a bit more power to investigate instead of looking for a "beige corolla" and the like

MAC_HATER said:
The DVR207 i have is good at reading plates when you are close to them ie pulling up behind them at an intersection or following them at low speed

for the price i find this pretty good

what i do is if i see something going on thats caught on film, i read out the make and color of vehicle and read the number plate out aloud, that way its recorded and you dont have to repeat it over and over again into your head until you find a pen and paper

so in the case of you witnessing a hit and run where the guy at fault legs it, if you give the footage to the police, they can review it and take down your verbal description and have a bit more power to investigate instead of looking for a "beige corolla" and the like

My 2 year experience with over 30 different dash cams / car dvr-s shows that if at night your headlights centre focused beam shines directly into plate which bouncing back directly into dash camera, - then I never saw any dash cam capable of reading number plates which are with white background.
We can talk about not continuous not-reading, but only those moments where light beam focused directly to the numberplate area. If in next few seconds when you driving behind other car, if his or your car will change slightly height or angle , where focused beam centre will be 1-2 inches up or down from centre of the numberplate, then of course you dash cam can read it. If driving constantly behind somebody on the smooth road surface with no bumps and if your light beam focus centred exactly into numberplate, then you will see constant overexposure and can not read numberplate. This has been a rule for long time and can be overcome only if using CPL filter, but it brings drawback as well.

niko said:
This has been a rule for long time and can be overcome only if using CPL filter, but it brings drawback as well.

Thanks. Was wondering if my ITB just sucked. :)

dashingthrusnow said:
niko said:
This has been a rule for long time and can be overcome only if using CPL filter, but it brings drawback as well.

Thanks. Was wondering if my ITB just sucked. :)

Ohh no, ITB is one of the most reliable Korean dash cams in its price range which are widely known outside Korea. Of course there are many others Korean dash cams which are also very good, but they are not that much advertised outside Korea.

For your own peace of mind, please do one simple test at night:

1. Take 1-2 friends with you, chose spot ( street, car park etc ) where there are cars parked in a row, lets say 5-6 cars together
2. park your car at the centre of that row 1-2 car length behind centre car, switch on headlights and try to find a distance from that front facing centre car till the point where your headlights beam centre is focused straight into front car numberplate and overexposing it.
3. Now yourself and extra 1-2 friends can sit or push down aether front bonnet or rear boot, to get result where car front lights beam centre changing it hight regarding numberplate, going up or down.

Hope my explanation was easy to understand what I meant ( my English is not good )

This way you will be able to see at home on your PC that if there is no direct focused beam from front lights into front numberplate, then you can read them.

Back