Recording overnight

Muggit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 422GW
Hi

My 422gw has been recording overnight - how do I stop it?
Checked the card and there's 664 1 minute clips on it, all from this morning.
It looks like it's recorded continuously from 02:49 to 08:19 in 2 different resolutions (each clip is duplicated with FH and FL filenames)
The card was full, so I don't know when it started recording.

I only realised it was doing this today, as the heat from the camera had melted the frost on the windscreen

IMG_20210101_081857.jpg

Last night wasn't windy etc. and the car wasn't hit so I don't think anything 'triggered' it to record, so have I overlooked a setting to make it switch off once I'm parked?
Should parking mode be on or off if I don't want it to record when parked?
Also, it's obviously been wired into a permanent live - is that best practice?

Using the Series 2 Hardwire Kit, but it was wired into to the harness, the fuse adaptor wasn't used.

Last edited:
I recall NB having cameras set up on a bench overnight, no movement, no noise and they were doing the same. I never remember them posting a solution.

Thanks

I turned parking mode on after my post and put cam back in car and, apart from a couple of minutes recording immediately after, it didn't record for over 2 hours until I unlocked the car to check it.
So, does parking mode 'off' actually mean the cam never stops recording? I thought I was turning off the bump recording so the camera went to sleep with parking mode off

Hello,

You have 'Dual Files' turned on in the Camera's settings. This means that for every recorded time period, two files will be produced; one HF and one LF- High Resolution Front and Low Resolution Front. If you also have a Rear Camera attached, then four recordings will be made; HF, LF, HR, and LR: High Resolution Rear and Low Resolution Rear. The smaller file size of the low quality video means it is quicker to transfer and edit within the app. Please note: Recording both high and low resolution versions will take up more space on the memory card. If you turn off Dual Files, then only the High Resolution footage will record.

You can disable Dual Files by:

1) Turn the Dash Cam on
2) Stop it recording (by pressing the red circle)
3) Go into Settings (the button in the top left)
4) Go into Video settings
5) Scroll across to ‘Dual Files'
6) Enable or Disable Dual files here.

Regarding the recording lengths, the camera will record continuously in small segments (1,2, or 3 minutes). It will record these segments consecutively until the SD card is full. Then the oldest piece of footage will be deleted and the newest will be saved in it's place. This will continue looping and is called Continuous Overwriting. The Dash Cam does this automatically to allow for more footage to be recorded and the old, unnecessary footage to be deleted without manual intervention.

When the car is turned off, Parking Mode will turn the camera off after 5 minutes. Then if your car is bumped and the G Force sensor registers movement then the dash cam will automatically turn on, record for 30 seconds and then shut back down again. If you are unlucky enough to be hit twice in a row then the dash cam would automatically record again and capture both events.

Here's some more information about Parking Mode:
https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/dash-cam-features/parking-mode/

If Parking Mode is not enabled, then the camera will continue to record when the car is turned off, as power is continually supplied to it. As you're using the Hard Wire Kit on a permanent live, this is providing power to the camera 24/7. You'll need to enable Parking Mode to allow the camera to turn off when the car is.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase Support

Thanks @NextBase Support - I had Parking Mode off as I wasn't too worried about front end bumps whilst stationary, but I hadn't realised turning it off set cam to 'Always On' :censored:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V 422GW 1
M 422GW 4
B 422GW 4
D 422GW 4
Back