Recording stops after a few minutes

Rav4Steve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was getting concerned about the huge number of protected files that were being created - basically every bump in the road caused one, even on the Low G-Sensor setting. So I tried switching the G-Sensor Off. However, the camera then stops recording altogether after a few minutes of driving, and does nothing until I switch off, and back on again, but then it's the same again - switches off after a few minutes. I DO have Parking Mode switched on, and I'm wondering if, with the G-Sensor being off, the cam is thinking I'm parked, so switches off the recording? Can anyone confirm if this is what's happening please? Alternately, is this a fault?

The G-Sensor setting should be for when you're driving, I can test tomorrow though. It shouldn't be going off when you're driving!

What version of firmware is on the Dash Cam?

In order to check what version of firmware you're using;
please stop the camera recording then press menu twice,
scroll down to "system info" or "version" then press OK,
a black screen should pop up with a long text with R.. at the end.
Please tell me what numbers are after the R.

If it helps... I also have the screen saver switched on, so in normal use the screen is blank. However, when it stops recording, it shows the live view on screen. I originally thought that the problem was something to do with the screen saver not functioning correctly, and only discovered the true nature of it when I looked at the recorded video on my PC, and found that only the first few minutes of each journey was being recorded, and the live view apearing, meant that it had stopped recording.

Before posting here, I did do a factory reset, and re-input all the settings, but I haven't had a chance to test it again since - I'll report back when I have.

Thank you for confirming that, it really helps. We've improved the G-Sensor/Parking mode in the update to R15.8.

It looks like the firmware needs updating on your unit, this can be done by clicking the link below.

Instructions: https://www.nextbase.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/NBDVR512GW-FW-Upgrade-Intructions.pdf
Update file: https://www.nextbase.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/FW512GWA.bin

If you require any further assistance please do get in touch using the telephone number 02920 866 429

Thanks Tiffany - I'll try that a bit later, and report back

OK, so the factory reset, and re-inputting my info does seem to have cured the problem. I haven't done the firmware upgrade as yet - I'll try it for a while as is, and see what happens.

Interestingly, I've gone back through my old video captures, and now that I know what I am looking for, I can pretty much pinpoint the moment when the fault occurred. It was on the night of Saturday April 21st, at approx 10.30pm. We had just had dinner in a local pub, and as we left to drive home (no, I hadn't been drinking) there was a huge thunder/lightning storm. We drove up onto the nearby fells, and watched for around 30 minutes, as the lightning struck all around us. It was as we left there to drive home, that I noticed for the first time, that the live view had appeared on screen. At the time, I assumed that I had inadvertently changed something in the settings myself, as I had been videoing the storm, and had moved the camera a bit to change where it was pointing. However, I now believe that it was a fault caused by the lightning - not a direct strike obviously, but the atmosphere must have been so charged where we were, that it caused some disruption to the circuitry, and caused this fault. Only a theory of course, and impossible to prove, but I do have a background in electromechanical engineering, and in my experience, random electric currents of significantly lower power can easily nuke circuit boards and microchips, so I reckon that it's the most likely candidate.

Last edited:
Hi Tiffany. Following on from my previous post, whilst the reset did seem to cure most of the problem, I'm afraid the cam is still protecting files every time I hit a significant pothole. I have checked, and double checked, and I can confirm 100% that the G-Sensor is set to OFF. I can only assume that this must be a fault with the cam? However, I haven't tried the firmware upgrade yet, so what do you think - do the upgrade first, and see how it goes, or straight back to Halfords for a replacement?

Hi @Rav4Steve

Very interesting evening you had there!

I do recommend the firmware update, with parking mode off and the G-Sensor off it shouldn't protect any files at all.

Pop the update on, parking was improved in the update, let me of course know the outcome.

Thanks Tiffany - I'll let you know ;-)

Firmware updated to V15.8 - I'll let you know how it works out in a day or two...

Brilliant thank you - can you confirm parking mode is off as well as the G-Sensor (firmware update may have taken them back to default)?

Yes, it reverted to defaults, but I've gone through the menu, re-entered all my info, and turned off G-Sensor and Parking Mode. I'll get back to you later with the results.

Just to add, I updated to v15.8 a while back, and it's cured the "protecting files" problem on mine.....

Been out for about 3 hours, and everything has been recorded that should be, and no protected files at all; so far so good. I've turned on Parking Mode now, so we'll see what difference, if any, that makes.

Hi Tiffany

I have two 512GW cameras and one 412GW camera, and yesterday whilst driving the vehicle fitted with the 412GW camera I started to experience that which is reported above

{If it helps... I also have the screen saver switched on, so in normal use the screen is blank. However, when it stops recording, it shows the live view on screen. I originally thought that the problem was something to do with the screen saver not functioning correctly, and only discovered the true nature of it when I looked at the recorded video on my PC, and found that only the first few minutes of each journey was being recorded, and the live view apearing, meant that it had stopped recording.}

I have had the latest Firmware R16.2 installed for several weeks without issue, but I was in a jam yesterday on the M62 where there was a period with the vehicle auto stop/start must have been on the voltage watershed as the vehicle fired and stopped around 6 times in rapid succession before I held the clutch down to keep the engine running. I have performed a camera reset several times and also reinstalled a fresh download of R16.2 but the problem is still there. If I disable the screen saver, the 3 minute default recording loop carries on without problem from powering on the ignition to powering off, but if I enable the screen saver, the recording starts and the screen goes blank after 30 seconds then after completing the first 3 minute recording loop, or partway through the second, live screen view appears without a recording icon. Parking mode is disabled so I am not concerned with that element of the above post.

As it is illegal as well as distracting to have the recording screen shown all the time, what do I need to do to reinstate the screen saver without it disabling auto record after 1 or 2 loops?

Many thanks

I'm running r23 on my 512GW and have just this last week started to experience the same symptoms as mentioned above too

Interesting Jokiin.

I formatted the 32GB card that came with the Nextbase Plus kit before re-flashing the same Firmware and it made not difference. I have just tried an old 8GB card after formatting and it successfully recorded several 3 minute loops with the screen saver active. I have reformatted the 32GB card after the Firmware re-flash and the problem is still there. Looks to be an issue with the SD card, but why would the SD card cause such to happen

Back