Records in park mode for about 12 mins then stops recording

G-mister

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I purchased the DR500GW last October. I have it connected to a constant power source in the car. When I am parked, the cam goes into park mode after several minutes. I have my recording time set to 3 mins. I have noticed that if I'm parked in a busy car park, the cam only records 4 files in park mode = to 12 mins rerecording time. It's like to park sensor does not pickup any movement. I tried several setting adjustments to no avail.

I have searched around and could not find info on this issue so I'm assuming there is a fault with this unit.

like to hear some opinions.

Thanks

It will only record movement or a bump and if none goes to sleep Eg if I park in my garage it records the wall for 10 mins and then goes to sleep and at the end of 1 hr it says "shutting down" as I have it set for that.

Put the motion sensor in parking mode up high and try it Do the settings in a computer as WIFI ones don't always save and work..
It would pay to buy a Power Magic or one day you will come out to a flat battery

Where are you in Australia

I had the motion sensor set to 85 but I did this using WIFI. I don't believe that making changes over WIFI would fail.
Like I said in the post, the car was parked in a busy car park and I find that it does not matter if I park the car on the side of a busy freeway, it still stops recording when in park mode after 12 mins.

I'm in Melbourne Australia.

Thanks.

I had the motion sensor set to 85 but I did this using WIFI. I don't believe that making changes over WIFI would fail.
Like I said in the post, the car was parked in a busy car park and I find that it does not matter if I park the car on the side of a busy freeway, it still stops recording when in park mode after 12 mins.

I'm in Melbourne Australia.

Thanks.

You may not think that but it has been proved it does. It has happened on mine and others have reported the same thing.

Try what I said you may be surprised.

You did ask for advice after all

How long have you got park mode set for

No probs..... I'll give it a go and post out the results.

Thanks.

Can't say that I ever had any issue adjusting the settings over Wifi, but I always restart after changing a setting. But you never know ...

Anyway ... are you sure that whatever fuses you tapped into in the vehicle are supplying power to the Blackvue after 12 minutes when the car is parked ... the car is not cutting power to those circuits?

For instance, in my car, the power windows will continue to work for about two minutes after I turn off my car.

Can't say that I ever had any issue adjusting the settings over Wifi, but I always restart after changing a setting. But you never know ...

Anyway ... are you sure that whatever fuses you tapped into in the vehicle are supplying power to the Blackvue after 12 minutes when the car is parked ... the car is not cutting power to those circuits?

For instance, in my car, the power windows will continue to work for about two minutes after I turn off my car.
That makes sense as in some makes like Audi and my VW power stays on some circuits for a fair few minutes.
Best way to test is turn car off for half an hour and come back and test fuses then

What car do you have bud?
How new is the battery and have you ever had any problems?
Sounds like issues we have had with BMWs that provide phantom ignition that cuts out after a while. Very weird!!

We use Audi's here and they all have Blackvue in them. For example one of them, The A3 has a DR550 and motion is set to 5. This will last about 12hrs parked up in parking mode before it shuts down. After a few days of using the park mode and turn it on / off etc we get a DIS warning saying there is a draw on the battery.

An A6 we have that has a bigger battery was parked at an airport for a week and was still on when we got back to it. It has a massive battery.

We have noticed though when parked up, if you unlock them at night you can hear the cam shutting down. This is because all the lights inside and out turn on which sends a "spike" through to the car. The PMP thinks it's the battery losing the volts but it's not. We take this as normal now.

-

On other thoughts, I always warn customers that whatever camera they buy with a battery monitor it's not 100% guaranteed to catch damage. If you're parked on a busy road or car park for example and it's recording all the time, it won't stay active for very long unless you have a bigger car with a bigger battery!

What car do you have bud?
How new is the battery and have you ever had any problems?
Sounds like issues we have had with BMWs that provide phantom ignition that cuts out after a while. Very weird!!

We use Audi's here and they all have Blackvue in them. For example one of them, The A3 has a DR550 and motion is set to 5. This will last about 12hrs parked up in parking mode before it shuts down. After a few days of using the park mode and turn it on / off etc we get a DIS warning saying there is a draw on the battery.

An A6 we have that has a bigger battery was parked at an airport for a week and was still on when we got back to it. It has a massive battery.

We have noticed though when parked up, if you unlock them at night you can hear the cam shutting down. This is because all the lights inside and out turn on which sends a "spike" through to the car. The PMP thinks it's the battery losing the volts but it's not. We take this as normal now.

-

On other thoughts, I always warn customers that whatever camera they buy with a battery monitor it's not 100% guaranteed to catch damage. If you're parked on a busy road or car park for example and it's recording all the time, it won't stay active for very long unless you have a bigger car with a bigger battery!
That is why should consider dashcam should consider low power consumption.
Blackvue has high power W, so not suitable for parking mode. I think, dashcam forum need to compare this power consumption point of view.

Power consumption is a very good point, some are very low already, some newer solutions coming that are even lower than existing technology, will definitely make parking mode more of a must have feature once that happens as the current draw will be so minimal that power management devices won't be needed

OK I have a 200 Sahara landcruiser 2013. It has two batteries under the bonnet. I have tapped off the interior lights on the overhead console. I'm going to test this out over the weekend by sitting in the car with the interior light on while the CAM records. I think the electrics cutout over several minutes. This sounds like the probable cause.

Will let all know how it goes.

Thanks

full size 10amp.jpg
OK I have a 200 Sahara landcruiser 2013. It has two batteries under the bonnet. I have tapped off the interior lights on the overhead console. I'm going to test this out over the weekend by sitting in the car with the interior light on while the CAM records. I think the electrics cutout over several minutes. This sounds like the probable cause.

Will let all know how it goes.

Thanks
You should take the feed off a fuse that has permanent power get one of the one in the pic from Jaycar and substitute it for an always on fuse and take the power off that.

In my 100 series those lights went out after a few minutes

The Landcruiser has two batteries, yes but if you look at them they are both low CCA Mine had two 400 CCA which is about the same as a saloon car.
Most owners in Australia put two 700CCA in them and split them with an isolator so we could power accessories without flattening start battery.
Both the original batteries are connected and work as one so both will go flat together unless you have done as above.

Get a Power Magic and do it properly or you will end up with flat batteries if you leave it running 24/7.

Lots blame the camera for not working properly when it is bad installation that is the cause and there is nothing wrong with the camera.

Last edited:
Hi all, the mystery has been solved. I have to thank all of you for providing valuable feedback.

Origanily I tapped of the interior lights to provide power to the CAM. This power source switches off after 10 minutes. I connected to a constant supply and now it works fine.

Once again.

Thank you .

Back