Recover from Corrupted SD card / USB SD card reader May be corrupting

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
I thought I would pass on my experience with recovering from video and still photos from a corrupted SD card from my Wife's Android. I suspect my USB SD card reader that I use for my Linux box once in a blue moon for my Dash cam vids may be the source of this. I see a few times people talk about the corrupted SD cards.

If you want me to get quickly to the point
- Zar X
http://www.howtogeek.com/232931/how-to-recover-images-off-a-corrupted-sd-card/

now for my lengthy story

In the summer of last year, my wife started having cases where the internal storage in her Samsung S4 wasn't enough so I got her a 32 gb sd card and she promptly moved her videos and photographs to that card.
I have a few SD card readers, two of which are USB based that I use for my Linux box. I noticed that for one of them, there seemed to be corruption for my dash cam videos. I thought it was because of the format of the SD card on windows box or how I removed or inserted the card from my Dash cam or computer. I use it so rarely, I never really connected the dots.

This winter, my wives phone totally crashed during an OS upgrade. A common problem, can't interrupt an OS upgrade and she did. Despite trying to bring the phone back to life with several attempts it was dead. Fortunately I got her an SD card early Fall last year.

The sd card looked ok, I left it in this USB Flash drive that can hold micro SD card for a few weeks. When I came back to copy the files to my NIX box I noticed the folder names were corrupted. I tried other card readers and got the same. I did a windows scan fix on my Windows box and the folder names where NOT in greek letter file names, but only a fraction of the videos and photo graphs seemed to be on the SD card.

My wife had photos and videos of family members who have since passed away so I had to make every effort to recover the files.

If you ever have dash cam videos you want to recover, check out this.
http://www.howtogeek.com/232931/how-to-recover-images-off-a-corrupted-sd-card/
This is a windows program.

Before running Zar X, I had only 600 photo graphs from the SD card, I now have 1700. It recovered both wmv and mp4 video files including the videos of my mother who passed away.

Later this week I will confirm one of my SD card readers is the source of the corruption.

Last edited:
Looks good. Did you use the free version to recover the video files? The website suggests the free version is only for images.

Looks good. Did you use the free version to recover the video files? The website suggests the free version is only for images.
I got the limited demo version, but still was able to restore video files.

Really good news. The usual solution for recovering a corrupted SD card is to use cmd. While holding down Win + R and typing chkdsk [drive letter]: /f /r>Click Y to confirm. Note Parameter / f – repairs errors on the memory card; parameter / r – repairs corrupted sectors on the disk. I also saw that someone provided a solution to reinstall SD Card Drivers, but I am not sure if it works.

Back