Red filter for underwater housing?

shrimp3r

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do coloured filters designed for the GoPro housing fit the Git underwater housing?

No, but you can put the Git2 in a GoPro housing that does fit the filters.

Or use the custom white balance to turn up the red to achieve a similar result without filters

Wondering if the red white balance is as effective as a filter. Not been able to find any video which demos the red wb.

Wondering if the red white balance is as effective as a filter. Not been able to find any video which demos the red wb.
I never use it more than 1 meter down so I don't know, but I'm guessing the red preset is a lot too red for most purposes. You can select your own redness with the custom.

I assume that tweaking the wb when editing the video would have the same effect as setting the wb in camera. Still, is seems a shame that the Git2 case isn't compatible with the filters. I could get a red filter for inside the case, between the lens and the port, then I'd only have the stuff near or on the surface to colour correct during post production.

Edit: Just found these on the Canadian GitUp site - http://www.gitup.ca/en/home/25-colorful-under-sea-filter-6-colors-included-for-gopro-git1-git2.html need to see if I can get them shipped to the UK.

Last edited:
I assume that tweaking the wb when editing the video would have the same effect as setting the wb in camera. Still, is seems a shame that the Git2 case isn't compatible with the filters. I could get a red filter for inside the case, between the lens and the port, then I'd only have the stuff near or on the surface to colour correct during post production.

Edit: Just found these on the Canadian GitUp site - http://www.gitup.ca/en/home/25-colorful-under-sea-filter-6-colors-included-for-gopro-git1-git2.html need to see if I can get them shipped to the UK.
Doing it when editing is similar, but when it gets compressed into H264 to store in the video file, the stuff it thinks you cant see gets lost, if you then try to bring it back by turning up the red the stuff that has been lost can no longer be made visible, if you do it in the camera then nothing gets lost until after the WB correction so you should end up with a more detailed image by doing it in the camera.

Doing it using the camera custom WB will probably be better than using a filter since the filter works by reducing the blue and green to match the level of the red which has been removed by the water. The camera is then seeing a dark image and has to use a slow shutter speed and high ISO. The Git2 works much better in bright conditions, using the custom WB instead of a filter you keep the full brightness of the blue and most of the green, you will loose detail in the red but the image should still look sharper. I guess if you go too deep then the amount of red will get too low for decent correction by WB so maybe it best to use both filter and custom WB for deep diving.

Are those standard GoPro filters? If so then maybe you can find them from other sources not listed at Git2...

Based on reports that the GoPro filters don't fit, they must be specific for the GitUp housing. Do sometimes think I might be better off with the Git1 for diving due to its low light performance, but the Git2 image stabilisation is really nice. I will probably experiment with the customer wb.

I think that the custom white balance is better than the filter, as any kind of supplementary glass or plastic in front of the lens will reduce light and quality.

I think that the custom white balance is better than the filter, as any kind of supplementary glass or plastic in front of the lens will reduce light and quality.
It would use useful if the the firmware could be updated to allow assigning switching WB modes to the side button.

Remember that an alternative solution is to replace the missing red light using artificial lighting, then the camera can work normally with out needing filters or custom settings.

I've not seen anyone post any dive videos yet, there are a few nice snorkelling ones but they are all well enough lit to use the Auto White Balance. Hope to see some soon...

Yep, fair point, but I'm looking to keep things as simple as I can. I'll have some footage in mid April when I get back from my holiday.

Post some images/video when you have some, I'm interested to see what they can do...

The Gopro 40 meter cases are really inexpensive on EBay , but I only found inexpensive adapters for the case in 52 mm size which may cause vignetting with wide fov .

Gitup Canada cancelled my order without explanation. In the end I ordered the official Gopro underwater case with the Backscatter Flip4 filter.

Gitup Canada cancelled my order without explanation. In the end I ordered the official Gopro underwater case with the Backscatter Flip4 filter.
For me, major reasons to buy the Git 2:the mic. access and Gopro case fit!

Flip4 and GoPro housing here, expensive but a very nice solution.

Attachments

• DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0016.jpg
    DSC_0016.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 25
Got a question, I just gut the Gitup2 and will go oversees for 2/3 months. I won't dive but will doe snorkeling. Or maybe underwater for max 3 meters. Do I need some filters then? Like the Backscatter Flip4 filter above?

Flip4 and GoPro housing here, expensive but a very nice solution.
How is this, do you have any video with it?

Got a question, I just gut the Gitup2 and will go oversees for 2/3 months. I won't dive but will doe snorkeling. Or maybe underwater for max 3 meters. Do I need some filters then? Like the Backscatter Flip4 filter above?

How is this, do you have any video with it?
If you are in green water a magenta filter will improve the image a little. Chinese sellers on Ebay have the slip-ons for inexpensive, also the hero4 40 m.cases in blue and green tint!
Remember the Gopro 60 m. waterproof case is the one with the ring of visible screws andlarger dimensions.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are in green water a magenta filter will improve the image a little. Chinese sellers on Ebay have the slip-ons for inexpensive, also the hero4 40 m.cases in blue and green tint!
Remember the Gopro 60 m. waterproof case is the one with the ring of visible screws andlarger dimensions.
if you can get to 60m below surface while snorkeling, you need to call Guinness. and I don't mean the beer company!

from what i understand, you don't really need filters if you're only going a few meters below the surface - there will be enough natural light already.

edit: i have never gone diving or snorkeling, so don't take my suggestions as gospel.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
briefer Git2 3
A Git2 0
H Git2 14
jorgeser Git2 4
S Git2 2
Back