Reducing dashboard reflections and glare

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
I'm getting massive problems at the moment with dashboard reflections - this problem is worse on the LS460W than any other dash cam I have seen to date (Transcend DrivePro 200, Samoon 3H2F-D, Shadow GT680W, Foxoffer Dome G90, 402G / LS430W).

Anyway, to attack the problem from a different angle do you folks use anything to reduce reflections of dashboard on the glass ?

I have a very long sloping windscreen (VW CC) so it's shocking - I've tried Armorall low shine cleaner and that's garbage - just looking at buying some of the Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer to see if that helps.

Anything else I should consider please?

Last edited:
Thank-you mate - I've been looking at those dash covers but they're very rare over here in the UK and the US ones will be for LHD.

I'm going to try different placement to see what works for this one as the camera really needs a good helping hand right now!

Thank-you mate - I've been looking at those dash covers but they're very rare over here in the UK and the US ones will be for LHD.

I'm going to try different placement to see what works for this one as the camera really needs a good helping hand right now!

In a pinch, if you can't find another way to resolve the reflection problems you could DIY a dashboard cover (or partial cover) using charcoal gray or black felt. I would imagine it might not be that hard to come up with something that doesn't look too unsightly. Who knows, it could look rather smart!

There is another recent discussion here at DCT about reflection issues where I posted a photo demonstrating the effectiveness of the black (dark charcoal) factory dashboard in my Toyota in contrast with a silicone cell phone pad placed on it. The black matte dashboard makes an enormous difference in diminishing reflections. Have a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
black felt has worked well for me, on previous cars. I don't need it on my current car. I make a template from an old sheet first & use that to form the felt. Although anything dark & NOT glossy may produce acceptable results. All the dash covers I've ever seen are reflective polyester type materials, designed for hard wearing. With felt make sure you avoid vents & make sure it's securely fastened down. As opening doors introduces random wind permutations capable to disturbing the felt.

I need to have more of a look around to be honest - bought some dash cleaner which is supposed to reduce glare - I originally bought a matte effect cleaner but turns out it's known to increase reflections so need to get it stripped off now.

The main problem with this VW (and from reading across various dashcam forums seems they're worse for reflections than most manufacturers) is that there is a massive speaker grille which you can't really cover without stopping sound coming through - it's a right pain in the arse. Got a better CPL coming in the next few days but not sure it'll make much difference over the cheap one tbh but we'll see.

I did another Google based off what Rick said and found this Australian vendor:

http://www.accessoriesonline.com.au/shop/product.php?productid=17308

They do them for the CC, and Australia is RHD too like the UK so this could be a winner! Got to work out how I get that past the mrs - although she didn't notice the last time I changed my car so there's hope!

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of reverend's "Huggy Bear" style furry dashboard once it has been installed!!:p

I'll have to get some furry dice to go with it :)

Why stop with furry dice? Once you do a Huggy Bear furry dashboard you'll definitely need a furry outfit to wear while driving! No opportunity to cut down on reflections should be spared! :p

I'll bet it comes in black.
fuzzy.png

Good point actually - I assumed they'd either totally cover it in thick material or just leave it open which would make no difference to the reflection. If they use a thin material like floorstanders maybe that would work fine!

Actually you can cover the speakers without compromising anything according to the manufacturer highlighted in @Dashmellow's post above.

Actually, I stole that link from @parklawn from the other reducing reflections thread. He's the one who should get credit for recommending it. :)

I forgot all about this thread until tonight - I've ordered a black DashMate from here:

http://www.sunprotec.com.au/dashmat-dashboard-cover-c-2.html

£46 delivered to the UK which sounds a bit of a bargain!

I won't know if there's just a hole for the speaker or whether it's covered in felt there or what until it arrives - if it is just a gaping hole I'm planning on stitching some of this underneath to cover the grille:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/close-weave-loudspeaker-grille-cloth-felt-ks50e

It's going to take a good few weeks I'm assuming for this one to turn up - either way I'm away from home now for the next two weeks so I'll give it a whirl when it arrives :)

I went with black as have seen reviews of people saying that the grey caused even worse reflections.

A bit of a gamble but figured not only does it mean I won't need to dick around with CPLs, but most importantly of all it means that I'll also be able to see through the window when it's sunny!!

Thanks again for the pointers folks!

I forgot all about this thread until tonight - I've ordered a black DashMate from here:

http://www.sunprotec.com.au/dashmat-dashboard-cover-c-2.html

£46 delivered to the UK which sounds a bit of a bargain!

I won't know if there's just a hole for the speaker or whether it's covered in felt there or what until it arrives - if it is just a gaping hole I'm planning on stitching some of this underneath to cover the grille:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/close-weave-loudspeaker-grille-cloth-felt-ks50e

It's going to take a good few weeks I'm assuming for this one to turn up - either way I'm away from home now for the next two weeks so I'll give it a whirl when it arrives :)

I went with black as have seen reviews of people saying that the grey caused even worse reflections.

A bit of a gamble but figured not only does it mean I won't need to dick around with CPLs, but most importantly of all it means that I'll also be able to see through the window when it's sunny!!

Thanks again for the pointers folks!

Good move, Reverend! Looking forward to your report........and some video and/or screen shots. (before and after, please. :))

Back