Reformat to fat 32?

• Thread starter Deleted member 24437
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24437

What's the point of reformatting an exFat card to fat32?

You should use Guiformat tool to format your card. 64Gb or above cards cannot be formatted as FAT32 format direct by Windows computer.

You should use Guiformat tool to format your card. 64Gb or above cards cannot be formatted as FAT32 format direct by Windows computer.
Why are there so many recommendations from sellers to reformat a 64 GB card to fat 32? All my cams work with the manufacturer's exFAT choice. The following explanation found while searching for reason to reformat to FAT32:
FAT32, as traditional file system, is compatible with many classical external media like XBOX, PS3, and Android etc. Also, it has great compatibility with software. However, FAT32 has the limitation to single file. To be specific, it does not support read and write single file that greater than 4GB. On the contrary, exFAT file system makes up for this limitation and can read and write single file larger than 4GB. To transfer large files like movie or video, sometimes you need to format 64GB SD card from exFAT to FAT32.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yi's 4 plus has a menu choice for the video of 4GB and "max"! I haven't recorded video larger than 2.49 GB, but I will record in 4k/60 to see how many gigs it will record w/o a break! The sj7 of mine frequently divided the videos in 2 gig pcs. or shorter.
Still, why change the SD manufacturer's file system?
Update: just for the halibut, I recorded a 4k/60 video, obtaining nearly 30 GB in 30 minutes! The cam was very warm but okay held against my face! Way To go, Yi

Last edited by a moderator:
Still, why change the SD manufacturer's file system?

there's two main reasons not to use exFAT, it's not free, you have to pay an exorbitant license fee to Microsoft to use it, very hard to justify the cost

bigger issue though, the implementation and support of exFAT is not that good, varies from reasonable to terrible depending on which chipset you're using, to be honest even if it was free we still wouldn't use it, it's not currently sorted well enough, not for our platforms anyway

My sj7 breaks files into less than 2GB's. The 4k plus's "max" menu setting is awesome.

there's two main reasons not to use exFAT, it's not free, you have to pay an exorbitant license fee to Microsoft to use it, very hard to justify the cost

bigger issue though, the implementation and support of exFAT is not that good, varies from reasonable to terrible depending on which chipset you're using, to be honest even if it was free we still wouldn't use it, it's not currently sorted well enough, not for our platforms anyway

jokiin, where does the cost for exFAT come into it.

I am running Win 10pro, with the latest update, and exFAT is a free option in the format menu. Indeed for cards 64Gb and above exFAT or NTSC are the only options available.

I take your point about only using FAT 32 for use in dash cams.

jokiin, where does the cost for exFAT come into it.

I am running Win 10pro, with the latest update, and exFAT is a free option in the format menu. Indeed for cards 64Gb and above exFAT or NTSC are the only options available.

of course it's free for you to use it, exFAT is owned by Microsoft, if we wanted to use exFAT in our product we have to pay a license fee to Microsoft, the implementation is not worth the asking price, as I said previously even if it was free I still wouldn't use it unless it worked correctly

But there are the differences in the way the file systems work-fat32 must break up files into 2 GB pcs.?fat32 not suitable for long files?

But there are the differences in the way the file systems work-fat32 must break up files into 2 GB pcs.?fat32 not suitable for long files?

FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit, we don't create files anywhere near that size anyway so that doesn't even come into it

My sj7 Star breaks files into 2GB and smaller-annoying!

of course it's free for you to use it, exFAT is owned by Microsoft, if we wanted to use exFAT in our product we have to pay a license fee to Microsoft, the implementation is not worth the asking price, as I said previously even if it was free I still wouldn't use it unless it worked correctly
Thankyou for your reply.
I realised, after i sent my post, that the cost implication referred to you and not the user of the product, and as such can appreciate your position.

A post "with whiskers" , but a question: Yi technloogy is paying for a license from Microsoft for the use of EXfat to provide 30 gig file size in my 4k, and 4k+ cams file recordings?

Back