Registrator/DashCamViewer with G

delboy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Panorama G
Can't find any specific location to talk about playback software, and don't know if the fault is with the s/w or the G.

Using RV, it is not picking up the altitude. Also, surely the 'compass' is a mirror image of what it should be. For example, on RV's home page, the example shows a car heading (almost) SE, but the compass is pointing SW.

Using DCV, I get no distance being shown. Also, although the bearing graph has a lot of data in it, the 'compass' (ie the car in the middle) is pointing north at all times. Same as RV, it does not show any altitude.

Is this me, settings, camera, or the wrong day of the week??

Del

It would appear that Vadim is not particularly enamoured of the way the G stores the GPS data.

I noticed that there are many peaks - both up and down - in the speed graph section of RV and emailed Vadim to find out why. His response:

You are use dashcam that has very bad style of GPS storing.
So, short speed peaks is possible, and it is specific of my parsing algorithm.
DashcamViewer supports only very short list of GPS formats, but my program supports all known formats (more 100 camera models), so I cannot support every camera ideally, because other models will get errors in parsing their GPS formats, because a lot of same but has a little differences.
Yes, I know about short speed peaks (up and down) problem, but I cannot fix it easy.
Is any other problem, global problem, instead of this? :)

I hadn't noticed these peaks before, probably because everything is new to me and I was bewildered by everything else that is going on. Anyone else have similar issues??

Incidentally, he also cleared up my issue above where I thought the compass is being shown as a mirror-image - it is actually being displayed exactly as a proper compass would show it. I have been used to the 'compass' on my satnav, which is not a compass at all, but a pointer to the bearing!

Del

It would appear that Vadim is not particularly enamoured of the way the G stores the GPS data.

To fix this he could break it for other models, he reads the data differently to what the maker intended, the same files viewed with the Korean player doesn't have any speed spikes as they read the raw data, likewise you don't see speed spikes in the speed embedded in on screen display as it's read from the raw data, not calculated from averages like Registrator Viewer does, not knocking Registrator Viewer at all, it's a fantastic program, it can't support every model in the same way though

Experience with Register Viewer and Panorama G (Firmware 1.01.02)
Checked some videos from G by Atom Box Studio mentioned by Reverend
This program is useful for reading the GPS data back from the skip area of the Panorama MP4 files:
http://www.jongbel.com/atombox-studio-product1.html

After quick check I can confirm that it's definitely some RV problem with speed indication:
- stationary vehicle, minor speed spikes in RV from 1mph to 5Mp/h (9Km/h) maximum when Speed Value reads from Atom Box Studio is 0.00Km/h.
RV
dd94feeac0874ddd534ec405ac1c199c.jpg

08147b643fffb28defcfd363a4b76568.jpg

Atom Box Studio
1b94ec671392acf669b6c317d7cc496d.jpg

- moving vehicle
NO Spikes in speed recorded. After quick check I only noticed minimal difference in speed RV vs Atom Box Studio which is ok for me.

Last edited:
it's very much an anomaly in Registrator Viewer in the way it handles data and interprets it, would be nice if it showed 100% correct but considering it's a free program we have little reason to complain considering everything the program does

it's very much an anomaly in Registrator Viewer in the way it handles data and interprets it, would be nice if it showed 100% correct but considering it's a free program we have little reason to complain considering everything the program does

Agreed, at least it's just very short spikes, nothing too bad. Maybe if we all donate money Vadim he will look into re-writing code to interpret data better.
http://www.registratorviewer.com/donate.html

Last edited:
I agree - RV is a fantastic piece of software, especially as it is free. I had not complained about these spikes, simply trying to ascertain if it was me or the program that was in error. As Jon says above, spikes are very short and can be ignored.

Incidentally Jon, I'm on 1.01.02

Del

Just a data point...I don't see these issues with the G and RV.

Just a data point...I don't see these issues with the G and RV.

There you go av8r - typical speed graph for me. Units are MPH - how I wish I had that sort of acceleration and top speed!! (Using 6-0-0-8 of RV)

(Sorry about quality of dashcam pic - driving directly into low-flying sun!!)

Del
Window2015020813-10-230-00-10864_zpsa29111db.jpg

Interesting to note how the speed spikes only seem to occur during the transition of one file to the next!

Maybe on that snapshot, Steve, but it is not consistent - see this one.

On the other hand, that started in the pub car park, followed by the journey home - so anything is possible!! :eek::eek::eek:

Window2015020418-10-250-00-00000_zpsa019ab97.jpg

Del

Is there going to be a Mac compatible version? or is there any other software out there I can use with Mac? Thanks.

Would you experts recommend Dashcam Viewer as the best software? $15 bucks for good software is a steal as long as its worth it.

I just received my new G from Jon this week and so far so good. The Dodge Ram 2500 doesn't offer the best rearview mirror area to mount the camera, but I think I have an okay spot.

Its such a relief to have the camera recording all of the time.

Back