Registrator Viewer + 64GB µSD from 0806: Long preview build time?

erkme73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
a119v3 x 4
My primary PC is i7-4790 w/32GB of ram, and I'm using an Anker USB3.0 card reader (on a USB 3.0 port). I can get 50mB/s read speeds when copying from the µSD to the PC. The card is a U1/class 10 Sandisk.

When I run RV for the first time on a given card, it takes upwards of 5 minutes to complete the 'preview' process. That is, while it's combining the hundreds of individual 3min clips into one playable item, it displays "previewing... 88%" and builds SLOWLY.

It does not seem to be reading from the card as it's doing compiling the preview, as I'm able to copy files from the card to the PC at full speed during the build.

It's not a deal breaker for RV, as I think it offers the best bang for the buck ($0). I just wanted to make sure I'm not alone when it comes to these long load times. FWIW, once it has built the preview, I can close and reopen RV, and it rebuilds it in under 10 seconds.

That is normal, I believe it reads it's way through all 64GB of video files to extract the GPS info, although it is only reading the text stream containing the data. I think RV needs a redesign in that area for modern size memory cards! It seems to be worse on the 0806 than some other cameras, probably due to the way the video files are written with the data and video interleaved rather than sequential on the card.

Thanks Nigel, that's what I suspected. All the cards from any of the 0806's do this, so I was pretty certain it wasn't a defect in a specific card/camera. Glad to know it's a universal thing.

Back