registrator viewer and multi channel avi files

Gibson99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Yes
Just tried using rv with a file from my blacksys cf100 and rv says the file is either unknown format or broken. So I used my splitter utility to break it out into individual channels and rv still says the same thing. Anyone else able to use rv with these avi files?

Darn. Know any other way to step through an avi file frame by frame? Trying to grab the license plate number of a truck who dropped something that smashed our windshield today.

Can't do it with VLC? You could convert it I guess but may lose some quality

Do they have a player of their own for these?

Blacksys does have a player but to call it crap is an insult to Mr. Hanky.

I've also never had any luck getting vlc to step through a file no matter what format it's in. It doesn't want to zoom either so I may just have to wait till I'm back home and have a full HD monitor to play it on. Maybe then I can use vscd to slow it down and zoom/enhance csi-style.

Also, depending on the color scheme and design of the license plate you are attempting to read consider converting to grayscale and then playing with the contrast settings in your viewer. This can sometimes bring out detail and features you won't see in color.

Last edited:
Oh, another thing to try if you absolutely have to read a plate number. Take a screenshot of just the area near the plate, convert to grayscale as suggested above and then invert the image to a negative. Then adjust your contrast and zoom in slightly on the image. If you can work in Photoshop there are other techniques that can help as well such as looking at individual channels or using various filters.

@Gibson99 could you please upload a small fragment (10 sec would do) of the file in question?

--- edit

Not even that file, just record a few seconds of anything with the cam, it'll be enough.

Last edited:
@Gibson99 could you please upload a small fragment (10 sec would do) of the file in question?

--- edit

Not even that file, just record a few seconds of anything with the cam, it'll be enough.
i dont know how to trim the combined file, but i can post something when i get back home in a few days.

@Dashmellow - thanks for the suggestions. gonna also try to see if i can maybe read the trucking company or owner, and chassis number from the side of the cab as well, since it may be more legible. it was a 2 way road with a 65mph limit in the hills so our combined speed was 120-140mph... not many frames to work with.

Last edited:
Back