"Registrator Viewer" with BlackVue DR900S-2CH

chiron80

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to find a good program to play and merge the the videos from my new BlackVue DR900S-2CH. I can play the videos using something like VLC, but I'd like to find way to play a continuous video made from several short segments, and ultimately generate a single recording file without having to manually remove the overlapping few seconds between clips.

I'm trying to get Registrator Viewer (aka DataKam) working. I downloaded via this discussion thread.

The program runs, but the video player is blank. I assume it has something to do with the HEVC (H.265) video encoding, but I've installed K-Lite Codec Basic and it still isn't working.

Any suggestions? I'm running this on Windows 10, but I also run Linux, so I'd love to find an option that works on Linux as well.

As an aside, I found a way to extract the GPS data from the MP4 files using the blackclue python script from GitHub.

- Ben

As another aside: I cannot get the official BlackVue Desktop Viewer working either. It will start playing the video and then immediately crash.

Dashcam Viewer does seem to work fine with the DR900S video files. I just tested merging a few and it seems to automatically remove the overlapping video segments as well, so I guess this will meet my needs for Windows. What's another $25 after the cost of the DR900S, right?

Now to see if I can find something that will work on Linux. I did some searching on Google to see if anybody has written an ffmpeg script that will merge the videos (and automatically remove the overlapping video segments). I can't be the first person to think of that, but I couldn't find any examples.

There is a problem with the current versions of the BlackVue viewer crashing. BV sent a beta of 1.22 to a few people (myself included) which fixes it, but that was well over a month ago and, for some reason, it still hasn't been released. If you can get an older version (check the forums here for links to older builds), turn off "hardware acceleration" and the crash if fixed (the later versions enabled hardware acceleration and removed the option to disable, and that's likely the root cause of the crash).

Dashcam Viewer looks interesting, but the lack of PIP in the Windows version would be a showstopper for me. But the ability to stitch videos and eliminate the overlap is an interesting concept.

Back