Reliability of Street Guardian dashcams

Vortex Radar

Reaction score
Country
United States
What's the overall take regarding the reliability of Street Guardian dashcams in general? I remember hearing someone mention before that Street Guardians are designed to be very reliable and that that explains why their pricing is higher than the competition, but I don't know if that's actually true or not. I've tested an SG9665GC years ago, but nothing as far as their newer models. I've been focusing on dashcam failures and reliability concerns recently and while I can see some threads reporting issues with various SG models here on the forum, I'm curious to hear people's take on the brand as a whole.

Also how are things doing nowadays, particularly after @jokiin's unfortunate passing in 2021?

In 2016, I purchased 5x StreetGuardian SG9665GC’s and 1x SGZC12RC, and in 2019 if I remember correctly, I purchased 1x pair of SG9663DR Dual Remotes - and ALL 7x dashcams have performed flawlessly to date.

However, over the years, 2x Sandisk 200 GB memory cards have played up, causing the StreetGuardians to keep rebooting; the other 4x Sandisk 200 GB memory cards are still fine.
I replaced the two faulty memory cards, and all is great.

My Samsung 256 GB memory card is running well too, as is my WD Purple Hi Endurance 256 GB.

My 3x Vicovation Vico Power Plus power management systems have run flawlessly the past 7 years.
My 2x Cellink Neo less explosive Li-Fe battery packs are working flawlessly too.

Last edited:
While I can't speak to some of the current product offerings every production SG camera I have/had is still working and in use today.

These include 2 SG9665GC Version 1 cameras that were purchased in March 2015 just after public availability, an SG9665GC Version 2 since February 2016, SGGCX2PRO with rear camera and SG9663DC both since 2018. All but the 'GC' Version 2 (which is used on an 'as needed' basis) are in daily use, and none ever had recording reliability issues that were not caused by memory card problems.

So from my perspective and experience they are as reliable as one could possibly want.

In the interest of full disclosure, early on, there were some firmware issues involving the '9665GC' cameras that sometimes took a while to resolve but later models were much better in that regard.

I've been using the SG9663DC since 2016 with no problems until recently, when the GPS started taking longer to lock; and I'm not at all sure that that's not the fault of the less-than-brilliant guy who changed the windshield. He insisted on moving things around, including the GPS logger, from where I had them to where he thought they should be. I know he broke the cable to the rear camera in the process and I had to replace it. Maybe he yanked on the GPS cable, as well.

In any case, even if it's just getting weak from age, it's going on seven years old; so I'm okay with replacing the GPS for USD $24.95. I mean, I live in the Northeast where the temperatures inside the car go from below zero F in the winter to more than a hundred F in the summer. To me, the fact that it's lasted for so long with no problems until the windshield was replaced says something about the quality.

Richard

The quality of Street Guardian is much better than the VIOFO I've had in the past. VIOFO feels cheap, but they do have nice support and software.

Back