Remaining Memory - Error in Display or Detection

TeriTerryTarry

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Several action cams
I currently have two SJ4000 Wi-Fi cameras but have experience with four - two were returned due to defects. All four cameras have been unable to either detect or display the correct amount of remaining memory. It varies based on the Image Size and Quality selected in the Setup menu.

With an empty 32GB memory card, formatted in the camera, and the Quality set at Normal, if I set the Image Size at 12M then go to Camera Mode and look at the remaining memory shown on the display, it indicates 10003, i.e., 10GB. If I set the Image Size to VGA it indicates 224,915, i.e., 224GB on a 32GB card! If I set it at 3M it indicates 34GB. At an Image Size of 3M, if I change the Quality to Fine then the remaining memory changes to 29GB. With Quality set to Economy it's 41GB. None of this makes sense. Where remaining memory is concerned, it is what it is, shouldn't vary and could never be 224GB on a 32GB card. Of course I understand that settings affect how much memory will be used but the memory shown on the display is not a prediction! Has anyone else had this issue?

Are you sure of what you're looking at, in picture mode the number normally represents how many photos you can take for that memory space at the specified resolution rather than how many gigabytes it equals

Are you sure of what you're looking at, in picture mode the number normally represents how many photos you can take for that memory space at the specified resolution rather than how many gigabytes it equals

That would explain it though it would be contrary to the e-mail responses I received from the manufacturer at support@sjcamhd and from the seller B&H Photo Video. They both said it was remaining memory. An image size of 3,000,000 pixels multiplied by 34,000 photos would require enough memory for 102,000,000,000 pixels, i.e., 102 gigapixels. I don't know how to translate pixels to bytes but roughly 3.2 pixels per byte would yield approximately 32GB. Do those numbers sound about right?

Last edited:
Hello,

Please use Fat32 for formatting card.

You may also want to try one of the cards listed on this forum: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sjcam-64gb-128gb-memory-cards-compatibility-list.14627/

Thank you. In one camera I'm using the Samsung Evo Class 10 and in the other I'm using the Sandisk Extreme Class 10, both listed cards. I'm embarrassed to admit what a newbie I am at all this but let me ask: if I format the card using Format in the Setup menu, wouldn't the camera format the card in whatever file system it would need to operate properly?

That would explain it though it would be contrary to the e-mail responses I received from the manufacturer at support@sjcamhd and from the seller B&H Photo Video. They both said it was remaining memory.

well it's very easy to check, set it, check the numbers, take some pics and check the numbers again, if it turns out that's what it is maybe you can educate them on what's happening with their product, the people that are answering your questions are likely just customer service types, not engineers

this is pretty much a standard on digital still cameras so I'd be very surprised if it didn't work the same in camera mode, it's a standard function on most chipsets that I'm aware of

Hi, TTT, and welcome to DCT! Even the "interwebz" is a small world, isn't it? ;)

I currently have two SJ4000 Wi-Fi cameras but have experience with four - two were returned due to defects. All four cameras have been unable to either detect or display the correct amount of remaining memory. It varies based on the Image Size and Quality selected in the Setup menu.

With an empty 32GB memory card, formatted in the camera, and the Quality set at Normal, if I set the Image Size at 12M then go to Camera Mode and look at the remaining memory shown on the display, it indicates 10003, i.e., 10GB. If I set the Image Size to VGA it indicates 224,915, i.e., 224GB on a 32GB card! If I set it at 3M it indicates 34GB. At an Image Size of 3M, if I change the Quality to Fine then the remaining memory changes to 29GB. With Quality set to Economy it's 41GB. None of this makes sense. Where remaining memory is concerned, it is what it is, shouldn't vary and could never be 224GB on a 32GB card. Of course I understand that settings affect how much memory will be used but the memory shown on the display is not a prediction! Has anyone else had this issue?
To my knowledge, in camera mode the SJ4000 displays the card's remaining recording time, not the remaining memory. Those numbers are more likely to be the number of storable photos in relation to the chosen size.

(...) if I format the card using Format in the Setup menu, wouldn't the camera format the card in whatever file system it would need to operate properly?
Of course it does and it's advisable to always format the cards in the cameras where they're going to be used. (Don't listen to what he says. ;):D )

well it's very easy to check, set it, check the numbers, take some pics and check the numbers again, if it turns out that's what it is maybe you can educate them on what's happening with their product, the people that are answering your questions are likely just customer service types, not engineers

this is pretty much a standard on digital still cameras so I'd be very surprised if it didn't work the same in camera mode, it's a standard function on most chipsets that I'm aware of

You're absolutely right and I don't know why I didn't check it - duh! With each photo I take, no matter the settings I use, the number decreases by one. I then shot some video and went back to camera mode and the number had decreased quite a bit, i.e., as more memory was used the number of remaining photos decreased as well. Thanks for the help. I regret this is not the first time that SJCam or B&H or both have given me information I later found to be incorrect.

Last edited:
Hi, TTT, and welcome to DCT! Even the "interwebz" is a small world, isn't it? ;)

To my knowledge, in camera mode the SJ4000 displays the card's remaining recording time, not the remaining memory. Those numbers are more likely to be the number of storable photos in relation to the chosen size.

Of course it does and it's advisable to always format the cards in the cameras where they're going to be used. (Don't listen to what he says. ;):D )

Wait, is that you Module 79L, from comments on YouTube videos? It is a small world! Thank you for the reply. As I described in another reply here you're entirely correct - it's the number of storable photos for the given settings. Thanks again and I'm sure we'll meet again here and on YouTube! Cheers:)

Wait, is that you Module 79L, from comments on YouTube videos? It is a small world! Thank you for the reply. As I described in another reply here you're entirely correct - it's the number of storable photos for the given settings. Thanks again and I'm sure we'll meet again here and on YouTube! Cheers:)
Yup, long time AIM subscriber. ;)

It's a sad reality that there are people throughout the chain, retailers, support staff and even manufacturers that really don't know the product they are selling

I'm really annoyed that I can't get straight answers from SJCam. I'm hoping it's only an English/Chinese translation problem, that the issue is not lack of proper engineering documentation. Being new at this it seems to me that the questions I'm asking are really basic: What does the number in the lower left corner of the camera display mean?!?! By my own trial-and-error, responses from SJCam and B&H and watching various YouTube videos about the camera I've put together my own 10-page manual. I keep revising it as I find out new information and now that I've found the Dash Cam Talk website I'm sure I'll be revising it some more. Once again your assistance is greatly appreciated. Cheers :)

I'm really annoyed that I can't get straight answers from SJCam. I'm hoping it's only an English/Chinese translation problem, that the issue is not lack of proper engineering documentation. Being new at this it seems to me that the questions I'm asking are really basic: What does the number in the lower left corner of the camera display mean?!?! By my own trial-and-error, responses from SJCam and B&H and watching various YouTube videos about the camera I've put together my own 10-page manual. I keep revising it as I find out new information and now that I've found the Dash Cam Talk website I'm sure I'll be revising it some more. Once again your assistance is greatly appreciated. Cheers :)

maybe look at sharing that info with @Pavle he's been doing a lot of work to try and get clear info available for the different cameras

Yup, long time AIM subscriber. ;)

By the way I meant to tell you I love your description of heaven and hell. From my limited travels in Europe I can verify one aspect of hell: British cooks! I hope that doesn't offend anyone but I was actually warned about this by my British co-workers here in the US before I went over there for work! Cheers:p

By my own trial-and-error, responses from SJCam and B&H and watching various YouTube videos about the camera I've put together my own 10-page manual. I keep revising it as I find out new information and now that I've found the Dash Cam Talk website I'm sure I'll be revising it some more.

maybe look at sharing that info with @Pavle he's been doing a lot of work to try and get clear info available for the different cameras
Maybe TTT should send a copy of the manual to SJCAM instead... :rolleyes:

Maybe TTT should send a copy of the manual to SJCAM instead... :rolleyes:

I DID send a copy to SJCam and the seller. I got no response at all from SJCam - not even an acknowledgement of receipt. The Seller replied that they weren't in the business of publishing manuals, something I did NOT ask them to do! Go figure! :confused:o_O:rolleyes:

Thanks for the referral. I just sent him a copy and mentioned that you pointed me in his direction. I didn't realize he was "Pevly" from the very helpful series of YouTube videos as well as his website. Anyway thanks again and cheers! :)

:mad:
Sounds like they're not in the business of good customer service either

This question about the memory has been really - annoying? Disappointing? Typical of customer service these days? Not only did B&H say it was remaining memory, they suggested I return the camera as defective! Which I did! How embarrassing to admit it!

But SJCam support in this case was worse. They said it was memory and sent me photos of an SJ4000 Wi-Fi where they had set the image size to 1.3M and again at 12M and showed that the remaining memory was the same in both cases. Well, I guess I just don't get. I mean, I know I'm a newbie but still . . .

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M SJ4000 5