"Remote Live View" - Practical Uses

DroMike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S (pending)
I'm about to purchase my first dashcam, and will go w/either the 2-channel versions of the 750 or the newer 900. There's a feature that both units have, which BlackVue advertises as:

"Remote Live View -- Remotely monitor your car in real time from anywhere, anytime."
cloud-cartoon-01.jpg

The owners' manual doesn't seem to have a lot of information about this, but the above picture seems to indicate that what can be seen by the camera(s) in the car can be seen via a phone (or presumably on the internet) anywhere else from another party. That interests me. That said, may I ask a few specific questions:

1. If, for example, I'm driving 100 miles to see a friend and he or she is curious to monitor where exactly I'm currently located, would I in fact be able to provide a webpage or some link (w/my password I'd guess) so he or she can see what I can see through my windshield?

2. How difficult is this to set up and invoke for myself and the other party desiring to remotely view my progress live?

3. Would anybody out there have already used this themselves and if so, how would you rate the practicality and functionality of it in general?

Thank you kindly,
Mike

Not an expert ....Below based on my knowledge of RD750s 2 CHNL. Hope its helpful Cheers :)

1. If, for example, I'm driving 100 miles to see a friend and he or she is curious to monitor where exactly I'm currently located, would I in fact be able to provide a webpage or some link (w/my password I'd guess) so he or she can see what I can see through my windshield? .. This should be possible if your HotSpot remains connected to the Blackvue cloud for the duration. Your friend should be able to track your geographical location as well as see vedio from your camera....Shld be noted however that free Blackvue service only allows 10 mins live camera view for each 24 Hrs. Longer periods for live Cam can be purchased.

2. How difficult is this to set up and invoke for myself and the other party desiring to remotely view my progress live? .... This shld not be a biggie :) . Just provide your friend the Blackvue Android/Iphone/Windows application and your password. Shld note that only one person can access your account at a time . ie: You and friend cannot use account access at the same time )

3. Would anybody out there have already used this themselves and if so, how would you rate the practicality and functionality of it in general? ... Done similar for friend in Jamaica W.I while travelling within NY.... Wld say it has some safety capabilities or just for fun in my case.

Hey Mike,

I'll see if I can bring some clarity for you.

1) Yes, your friend can remotely view your dashcam provided that your dashcam is connected to a cellular hotspot and your friend has your BlackVue account logins. BlackVue limits the duration for free accounts, however, more can be purchased for not much. I believe each day it was 10 minutes or so.
2) It's not too difficult as long as you buy a new dash cam from an authorized reseller. The cloud feature would be new and would not take much to set up.
3) I have used it in the past but not so much for live view but I had it for notifications if something or one was to bump my car. I had a cellular hotspot in the vehicle which allowed the dash cam to communicate with my account. As long as I was signed in my phone would light up with notification if anything was to happen to it.

- Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

I can't say I'm enamored with the 10-minute (only) free limit, but then again that would probably be enough (and what kind of life would the person at home have just watching my driving progress.....?) Still there could very well be some situations where it would come in quite handy (and yes, even fun). In any event, thank you both very much for your thoughts in confirming that it is indeed viable and seems to operate easily enough. I mean hell, 10 minutes ago I didn't even know you could DO this. haha

1. Technically yes, but it is not exactly like in the ads ... :) Like my predecesors said: you need to provide, actually, your user&password on the blackvue accound (cloud). Also there those limitations for the free variant. Also (at least for me) the connection through cloud is quite limited from the transfer rate point of view. I woudl rather use a application from my mobile phone for sharing the location (I think even whatsapp have this)
2. For yourself is very easy. For the others: They need to installl the propper application (Windows, Android, IOS) , and then login with your credentials (momment when your mobile phone will be dissconnected from the cloud, if it is already connected), and then just wait for the limited connection through cloud.
3. I used it only for myself, to see my car when parked. I find it slow but cool.

One more info: my predecessors already said, but I want to highlight: You need an internet wifi connection in/near the car in order to use this !!

I can't say I'm enamored with the 10-minute (only) free limit, but then again that would probably be enough (and what kind of life would the person at home have just watching my driving progress.....?) Still there could very well be some situations where it would come in quite handy (and yes, even fun). In any event, thank you both very much for your thoughts in confirming that it is indeed viable and seems to operate easily enough. I mean hell, 10 minutes ago I didn't even know you could DO this. haha

10 min isn't bad as most of the time It's just 1-minute clips so I would say it's enough in most cases. You may use more at the beginning just to try it but later on, 10 is totally enough.

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

Back