Removing A frame cover and headliner trim?

I wouldn't mess with trying to remove the Toyota socket. They're a pain. Just cut off the vico socket, put 2 female blade connectors on, and plug it into the back of the Toyota socket.

Curious though - why do you want to put the Vico unit that way? Are you trying to run some other electronics after parking the truck?

Hi Gibson, the Tacoma's cigar socket is a mess inside, looks like the previous owners tried to grind it out or something and I have no idea why. I even called the guy I bought it from and he didn't even know it was broke, but when him and his wife bought it, it stunk of tobacco smell bad. So they cleaned the whole inside with brushes warm water soap (she was pregnant I believe was reason), not that I minded, it is really clean and no smoke smell at all which I like because I quit smoking long ago and can't stand the smell now!
So I couldn't just cut and install blade connectors and plug in. What I could do is put in a new Toyota socket but they start at $25. to over 40.00 on Ebay for them and I have no idea how to take the old one out, neither did the guy that did the work.
If you know how to do it I would really appreciate you telling me how, because that is what I had planed to do from the start (till I found out mine was broke) and still would rather it be that way.

That is why I was looking for any other way to do it, the Vico is just a plain socket can't mount it just put it under the dash or something, that is just plain not my way of doing something.

It might even be possible to simply remove the Vico socket and then connect those wires into the existing 12V socket in your truck, which you would disconnect from your truck's original circuitry. But yeah, I think you should be able to buy an after market replacement socket that will fit the hole where the existing Toyota socket is now.

Here is an (expensive) example on Amazon. You should be able to find these at a better price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00GKMPGVK
Edit: Last time I dealt with something like this there were just a couple of little pressure fit flanges that held the socket in place. They were part of the metal tube that creates the socket. It should be pretty simple. I think @Gibson99 would know.

Thanks for the reply, I replied to Gibson ( read that). It's unbelievable, but you must have the right insert for the right year with Toyota Tacoma's, I did find one on Ebay $$$, just because it is a 1st generation Tacoma! Why in the heck would a company do something that stupid to something as simple as a lighter :mad:?
I tried to program the Vico for what I wanted (very simple), but that doesn't want to work right either, might have something to do with the installer guy not connecting the power wire to the ACC in the fusebox but splicing it into a wire on the steering Colum. However electricity and wire connections are "mojo" to me:rolleyes:, just not having a good day at all:sick:(n). Thanks for sticking with me on this adventure, it makes a difference having a friend:). I'm just going to take one thing at a time and fix it.

Thanks for the reply, I replied to Gibson ( read that). It's unbelievable, but you must have the right insert for the right year with Toyota Tacoma's, I did find one on Ebay $$$, just because it is a 1st generation Tacoma! Why in the heck would a company do something that stupid to something as simple as a lighter :mad:?
I tried to program the Vico for what I wanted (very simple), but that doesn't want to work right either, might have something to do with the installer guy not connecting the power wire to the ACC in the fusebox but splicing it into a wire on the steering Colum. However electricity and wire connections are "mojo" to me:rolleyes:, just not having a good day at all:sick:(n). Thanks for sticking with me on this adventure, it makes a difference having a friend:). I'm just going to take one thing at a time and fix it.

Well, obviously if the installer screwed up the wiring you should take it back and have him do it correctly. As for the 12V socket, I think @Gibson99's advice to just put some blade connectors on the Vico cable where the socket is now and swap them onto the back of the existing Tacoma socket seems like a good way to go. As long as you can access the back of the panel it should be pretty easy.

tacoma.png blade_female.jpg

Well, obviously if the installer screwed up the wiring you should take it back and have him do it correctly. As for the 12V socket, I think @Gibson99's advice to just put some blade connectors on the Vico cable where the socket is now and swap them onto the back of the existing Tacoma socket seems like a good way to go. As long as you can access the back of the panel it should be pretty easy.

View attachment 32448 View attachment 32449

I just tap my connection to the wires for my install and leave the socket for other uses like phone charging....

I don't know if it will help in this scenario but I've seriously considered installing a couple of these (or similar) in my next vehicle. I'd just cut off the 12v plug adapter end, splice into a switched circuit and use velcro/dual-lock/3M to mount it wherever is convenient - then just use quality USB cables to power whatever needs it. (Won't work if your device needs 12V power though.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00OHE8AOI

WOW Phil, all that just to put in a new cigar lighter or insert in a Tacoma! I believe I will think on this a while till I come up with a simple but elegant way to do this. Last night I was looking for a (simple do it yourself) good way to add a new power outlet some place on the dash. there are tons of them in plastic, but I do prefer metal, bbut I'm going to do some more research tonight on Amazon and see what ideas I come up with. Thanks a lot for your help.

WOW Phil, all that just to put in a new cigar lighter or insert in a Tacoma! I believe I will think on this a while till I come up with a simple but elegant way to do this. Last night I was looking for a (simple do it yourself) good way to add a new power outlet some place on the dash. there are tons of them in plastic, but I do prefer metal, bbut I'm going to do some more research tonight on Amazon and see what ideas I come up with. Thanks a lot for your help.

Why not one of those under-dash dual 12V sockets?

dual 12V.png

Last edited:
Why not one of those dual under-dash 12V sockets?

View attachment 32452

I saw that one last night on Amazon, it's on my list as a possible, just need to check some more, but first a question on dash cams and the Chargers.

The only thing I will be running/charging are dash cams, phones, and a tablet when I get one. So, most of the 2 USB outlet bullet type chargers that one sticks in a cigar car charger type are rated max to output 2.4 amps per outlet (some more/some less) I forget what the Mobius pulls, I think around 1 amp and it has circuitry to protect against over charge, also the bullet chargers themselves have a feature to protect against under and over charge so I have no problem there, right?
What about all the newer cameras coming out, do any of them need more than 2.4 amp's (Remember, I don't know Mr. Electricity very well), I ask this because some of the plastic housed aftermarket USB chargers are limited to their amp output/wattage, is this a problem you have to worry about for what I'm doing?

I saw that one last night on Amazon, it's on my list as a possible, just need to check some more, but first a question on dash cams and the Chargers.

The only thing I will be running/charging are dash cams, phones, and a tablet when I get one. So, most of the 2 USB outlet bullet type chargers that one sticks in a cigar car charger type are rated max to output 2.4 amps per outlet (some more/some less) I forget what the Mobius pulls, I think around 1 amp and it has circuitry to protect against over charge, also the bullet chargers themselves have a feature to protect against under and over charge so I have no problem there, right?
What about all the newer cameras coming out, do any of them need more than 2.4 amp's (Remember, I don't know Mr. Electricity very well), I ask this because some of the plastic housed aftermarket USB chargers are limited to their amp output/wattage, is this a problem you have to worry about for what I'm doing?

I'm not aware of any dash cam that requires anywhere near 2.4 amps to operate. Most are no more than half that and usually less.

...So, most of the 2 USB outlet bullet type chargers that one sticks in a cigar car charger type are rated max to output 2.4 amps per outlet (some more/some less)...
2.4A should be more than ample for just about any device.

I'm currently using one of these to power 4 cameras with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0169K7SQS

I'm not aware of any dash cam that requires anywhere near 2.4 amps to operate. Most are no more than half that and usually less.
Thanks, I'll pick up a charger holder from Amazon, let you know later what I get.

I used 2.4 amps because it is what the better manufactures seem to make and sell now with the latest protection circuitry, Anker as an example.

Thanks, I'll pick up a charger holder from Amazon, let you know later what I get.

I used 2.4 amps because it is what the better manufactures seem to make and sell now with the latest protection circuitry, Anker as an example.

Well this is what I bought from Amazon. It cost a little more then the generic ones but it has a locking ring for keeping the charger in the socket. It doesn't come with a charger but I have 2 new ones anyway. I'm just hoping the lock ring works as described:D:cool:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B001U4ZZPK

Well this is what I bought from Amazon. It cost a little more then the generic ones but it has a locking ring for keeping the charger in the socket. It doesn't come with a charger but I have 2 new ones anyway. I'm just hoping the lock ring works as described:D:cool:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B001U4ZZPK
As long as it fits in the factory socket hole, but you could always ream it out to make it fit.
Could also Dremel off the screw hole tabs to clean it up a little, just leave enough to grab on to the IP trim piece.

As long as it fits in the factory socket hole, but you could always ream it out to make it fit.
Could also Dremel off the screw hole tabs to clean it up a little, just leave enough to grab on to the IP trim piece.

Thanks for the suggestions but the original was trashed by a previous owner, so I'm going to just install it in the dash close by, not sure exactly where yet.

WOW Phil, all that just to put in a new cigar lighter or insert in a Tacoma!

Apparently so- these are folks who have actually done the job and seem smart enough to have found a better way if that existed. I've got a 2-port Anker 2.4A bullet plugged into a triple-socket to power my Mobius. It has ran 2 cams before as well as the cam while charging a phone. Totally reliable and well worth the $30 or so I spent for it :D

My triple-socket also carries a PS for one side-cam. I use the last socket for my GPS which is stored when not in use. If you go this way get a good unit or you'll wish you had. Mine was a cheap one and I had to deeply modify it to make it reliable. I'd try one like Dashmellow showed with a metal bracket. If they spent the extra for that good of a bracket then the sockets are probably equally well done.

When mounting anything under-dash, give some consideration to where your knees and legs might end up in a serious crash. Mounting with 3M tape or small screws might be safer than something rock-solid bolted into place ;)

Phil

Apparently so- these are folks who have actually done the job and seem smart enough to have found a better way if that existed. I've got a 2-port Anker 2.4A bullet plugged into a triple-socket to power my Mobius. It has ran 2 cams before as well as the cam while charging a phone. Totally reliable and well worth the $30 or so I spent for it :D

My triple-socket also carries a PS for one side-cam. I use the last socket for my GPS which is stored when not in use. If you go this way get a good unit or you'll wish you had. Mine was a cheap one and I had to deeply modify it to make it reliable. I'd try one like Dashmellow showed with a metal bracket. If they spent the extra for that good of a bracket then the sockets are probably equally well done.

When mounting anything under-dash, give some consideration to where your knees and legs might end up in a serious crash. Mounting with 3M tape or small screws might be safer than something rock-solid bolted into place ;)

Phil

Thanks for the reply Phil, I went with the Blue Sea brand because of it's locking feature and it's one of the major manufactures, at least I hope it's one of theirs, so much rebadging these days it's hard to really tell who actually made what :D:rolleyes:.

Thanks for the suggestions but the original was trashed by a previous owner, so I'm going to just install it in the dash close by, not sure exactly where yet.
Yeah I was meaning to remove the trashed one and replace it with what you got.

I run at least 2 of my cameras off 1 A outputs on multi port charger, no problem at all.
I have a whole host of 2 - 2.4 A ports too, but those are just to be on the safe side and to be able to charge what ever else in a hurry.
My tablet do need 2.4 A to be able to charge and be used as NAV unit at the same tine, with a 1 A connection it slowly discharge as it is being used.
My new phone are also on a 2.4 A connection, it have USB C connector, and it too charge pretty fast too, my phone do support the qualcomm fast charge 3.0 but i see no reason to charge with 12 - 9 volts in the car too and that would just entail me having to get a mobile charger that support that stuff.

Back