Removing the default mounting tape

richx

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Dash Cam
A129 Duo, A139, Mola N3, A119v2, B4K
Hey guys. I removed the A139 from my car, thinking to mount it to my wife's car as that gets driven more and I'll get more chance to test it. However the tape that came pre-applied was pretty nasty to remove from the glass, and it's worse on the GPS mount. Anyone got any tips on this? Thanks!

1624267588799.png

Don't cut your nails for a while... :ROFLMAO:

So the sticker works quite well on glass. My rear unit recently fell of a plastic trim by itself and the sticker looks like new.

expected result, the tape is not reusable
In my case it seems quite reusable :ROFLMAO:

But I think OP wants an advice on how to get rid of tape remnants. Nail is the best tool right after Phillips-head screwdriver.

Yes, it came off from plastic pretty easily. It's formulated for glass and higher temperatures I think. I just realized VHB is a whole brand name of tapes, not just one type of tape. They have models to fit whatever application you may have. Plastic on metal? Got it. Metal on metal? Painted or unpainted? We got that too. Endless list of products.

It's really hard to peel off with nails even, all it does is gunk up. I'm wondering if freezing it will help. Or using hair dryer (but this stuff formulated for high heat??). Also the GPS mount has 4 screws. Maybe can remove so that the plastic piece can be frozen without damaging the GPS receiver's electronics?

It's really hard to peel off with nails even, all it does is gunk up. I'm wondering if freezing it will help. Or using hair dryer (but this stuff formulated for high heat??). Also the GPS mount has 4 screws. Maybe can remove so that the plastic piece can be frozen without damaging the GPS receiver's electronics?
Good thinking. If you are gonna try to freezing/heating it then definitely just the top plastic part without GPS board.

Normally heat helps.

For the glass, some people use WD40, also petrol is a really good solvent for removing the mess, but also a little dangerous, only for use in well ventilated spaces, and its effect on plastic may not be good. Other solvents generally don't work.

Consider using the anti-static sticker next time, solves the problem.

Pull some fishing line back and forth to cut the bonding material.

In Australia, use lighter fuel (Shellite) from the hardware store, about au$9 to $10 for a 1 litre bottle (use the remainder in a lighter fuel camping stove!)

Cleans up sticky residue from most stickers and tape.

Normally heat helps.

For the glass, some people use WD40, also petrol is a really good solvent for removing the mess, but also a little dangerous, only for use in well ventilated spaces, and its effect on plastic may not be good. Other solvents generally don't work.

Consider using the anti-static sticker next time, solves the problem.
I don't have issues with the indoor side. I have a naked patch on the glass (cut a hole on the tint) to mount dashcams. Now it's removing the adhesive from the mount itself. Solvent-based chemicals have a risk of discolouring or even breaking the plastic piece? Anyway, I'm off to removing the plastic piece as a start, and maybe try heat first.

Be careful using strong alcohols as they can melt plastic and damage the lens if it comes in contact. I use citrus based cleaner to remove adhesive pads and then clean with methylated spirit (denatured alcohol).
1624356876049.png

You can get most of the residue mechanically by drawing the mount across the end of a sawn board in one direction. The wood fibers catch the residue balling it up, but are soft enough to not hurt the part it's on. You may need to wire-brush the board end as you go to remove what gets stuck to it. To get whaeber is left behind use a rough rag heavily dampened, not wet, with a strong soap, again rubbing in one direction only. You may have to up the game with some kind of solvent. Start mild and work to stronger in steps. Cigarette lighter fluid aka naptha aka paint thinner usually does the job. If not switch to gasoline aka petrol or denatured alcohol. Anything stronger will likely melt plastic but can work on metals.

Phil

That's a really tiny coin cell battery behind the GPS receiver chip. Anyway, I'm happy to report that after freezing for 4 hours, it's much easier to remove the gluey residue because when you pull at it at 45 degrees angle, it'll stretch and slowly pull the adjacent glue off bit by bit.

photo_2021-06-24_18-50-41.jpg

Back