Repeated "Check SD Card" Errors with all 3 Dashcams I own all using new 128GB Cards

Tanuki-san

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had zero problems with my 3 cameras using the 16GB Micro SD Cards that came with the units when I purchased them. A few months ago I bought 128GB Cards to give me more recording history in case there is a time delay in turning off the camera after an accident and I have had nothing but problems. This is with all 3 dashcams. I am on the latest firmware 1.009. This is a shout out to determine who else is having or not having this problem with 128GB cards and resolving this once and for all so I can rely on these cameras to be recording properly when an accident happens.

Did you format them as FAT32? Using the BlackVue Viewer app or some other app (Not Windows, which won't do it right).
Assuming you have them formatted exactly correctly, do they work for some period of time before announcing problems? If so, they're not adequate cards. While some people have had some success with really high-end Class-10 cards, the majority will have problems with anything other than BlackVue-branded cards.

I have a Samsung EVO+ 128Gig, properly formatted, which is considered one of the best cards out there, and I can't run more than a week or two before the camera starts barfing. The 64Gig BlackVue-branded just works.

Brad.

Logic would seem to point toward faults with the cards rather than the cameras Without essential information you are asking us to identify a problem whilst blindfolded.

Forum 101 More info =better answers

I had the same problem.
A tip: use a tool like "Minitool partition wizard" (partition wizard is free).
It can format large partitions in FAT32, something your OS cannot do by default.
After i've done that with my Sandisk 128GB, the error message disappeared, and it shows as being formatted in FAT32.

I have read somewhere that they recommend you to reformat the SD Card every month or so... is that a fact?

...I have read somewhere that they recommend you to reformat the SD Card every month or so... is that a fact?
It is a fact that some recommend periodic reformatting. What is not ever stated definitively is the reasons for that recommendation. Many will say it's to 'prevent' issues with the card which is ludicrous - reformatting may correct some undetected issues with the card but cannot under any scenario prevent them - and if there are issues that are corrected those issue were created by the device itself versus anything inherent with the card.

Being obstinate like I am I never reformat my cards except under 2 conditions: 1) moving them between cameras and, 2) when I update the camera firmware. I've been doing this since well before getting my first dash cam and have never, repeat NEVER, had any issue with a card that was corrected with a reformat.

I am having the same issue. I reformatted the Sd card with triple pass and it does that (check sd card) now once a day but camera reboots instead 5-8 times in 10 hours period.

Sd cards i'm using is 128 GB Samsung Evo (green label) class 10 and i tried 128GB Sandisk Black label class 10. Both show same behavior.

As soon as i popped 64GB Sandisk black label card in no issues at all now.

Is it fair to conclude that it's firmware issue or is it hardware, cause it seems it's not sd card as i tested 3 of them and only 64GB works great.

Does this happen also with BlackVue 750S cameras as well?

I am using a 128 Samsung Evo Plus in my 750 2CH and it's just fine.
The other tiny marks on it are "Micro SD 1 XC" and a 3 inside a U.

I think this has something to do with 650s series hardware. Possibly small hardware buffer that was increased threw hardware component upgrade in 750s series.

I'm on latest 1.012 firmware as of 06/11/2018 and 128GB is no go but 64GB works fine.

I'm running 1.012 with a 128Gig, but I splurged and got the official Blackvue one. It's been about a month and no errors/issues so far. But when I previously used my 128Gig Samsung EVO+, that started throwing errors after about three weeks (and then every couple of days after). Others, particularly on the 750- & 900-series seem to have better luck with the non-BV cards. So it may indeed be a hardware or logic issue that makes the 650 more sensitive to card makes & sizes.

Brad.

I have a Blackvue 650s - 2CH on my personal car, and I had a problem with the 128 GB Transcend Premium 400X - the camera would restart sporadically.
I bought a 128 GB Lexar 633x and have not had an issue since.

I do however want to echo some of the other posters and remind you to use the Blackvue desktop app to format the card, as it will format the card properly in FAT32 format.

im using the 128gb samsung evo plus for less then a week.It was recording fine and access it via wifi has no issues.
Issues started after i took it out and replace with original bv sd. I try to plugin the samsung to my pc but it juz wont read. Keep prompting me to format. Juz wont read the card. Thinking it might be bcos windows10 that don’t recognised the fat32 format,
I went back to replace it back to the cam.
Guess what, now bv cam is rejecting my card. Saying Check sd card, then restarting over and over again.

Checking thru thru the posting, you all recommend lexar 633x. I compare the read and write speed which samsung evo seems to be better and stated to be more durable but yet lexar is able to hold on much better. Really weird cos my local agent told me that dashcam requires a good write spd of at least 100x to be working properly.
So it either samsung is puting soemthing thats not true or lexar juz make better sd cards.

Attachments

• 0AE287C0-2435-4D1F-850D-91DA73BA0C2C.jpeg
    0AE287C0-2435-4D1F-850D-91DA73BA0C2C.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 7
Windows 10 recognizes FAT32 just fine. It just won't format larger drives to FAT32. But the BV Viewer will, as will other apps.

It almost sounds like, when you removed the Evo from the camera, you didn't wait for it to completely shut down first and maybe corrupted the file system on it. Generally speaking, cards don't just die like that, they start giving write errors for a while first.

Your Evo may have life left in it if you reformat.

I don't recall I've ever seen anybody recommend a Lexar. It'll work for you for a while. The primary choices these days are the actual BlackVue cards, or the new Samsung Endurance line.

Lexar used to get recommend a lot, they sold the card business to a Chinese company and the quality is not what they used to be

Lexar used to get recommend a lot, they sold the card business to a Chinese company and the quality is not what they used to be
I can second this. I just recently got the Lexar x633 after many recommendations, but my experience hasn't been the greatest.

I'm chalking it up to being the card being a fluke since 1 card is a small sample size, but I'm definitely not confident about getting another one.

Back