Replace 412Gw for 522/422GW or 612GW Dilemma

KD364

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I currently own the 412GW. I would like to know any views on quality of footage on the 522 422 and 612 dashcams. I contacted Nextbase and they say that the quality of the new 522 and 422 are “ comparable to the quality of the 412GW “ . I have looked at various footage from Paul on his new 522GW and it doesn’t look any better than my 412 really. I was thinking about trying the 612 as quality is my main aim. However I have purchased one of these before and the image was very soft and thought in some cases my 412 was clearer. It went back to Halfords. It might have been a bad copy as some of the videos I have seen online of the 612 are a lot clearer than mine was.
It would be great to hear people’s thoughts. Many thanks.

There is a 622GW planned (ETA currently unknown) if you are prepared to wait.

Thanks
I have heard there is one planned and would wait for it but I guess it will be in the 250 price bracket whereas the 612 is now down to 175. Will
Probably take a while for it to come down from that.
I get the impression that the new series dashcams are more about the features, new mount etc than the quality of the footage/sensor.

I think you summed it up about right - my new 522 has some nice features but in some respects I prefer the footage from my 412 (which I will be keeping) - and that is not exactly stellar imaging!

My 412, in my opinion, produced very good footage. If only the mount had been rock solid so it didn't vibrate over than less than perfect surfaces.

My ideal would be the 412 innards, with incorporated CPL & super capacitor, within the 380 bodywork.

I think you summed it up about right - my new 522 has some nice features but in some respects I prefer the footage from my 412 (which I will be keeping) - and that is not exactly stellar imaging!
Yeah that’s why I went for the 412 over the 512 a few years back. The dynamic range on the 512 was better than the 412 but I was convinced that the 412 was a better more detailed image than the 512.
My GoPro Hero 5 is amazing in 4K as a dashcam but it tends to overheated or lock up sometimes as it’s not designed for such use. Don’t know why they can’t develop a dashcam that gives the same amazing quality as the Go pro but in a dashcam body . ☹️ Very frustrating. They would sell like hot cakes.

My 412, in my opinion, produced very good footage. If only the mount had been rock solid so it didn't vibrate over than less than perfect surfaces.

My ideal would be the 412 innards, with incorporated CPL & super capacitor, within the 380 bodywork.

I

Thanks for your thoughts. See my comments to woodbar.

Back