replace dashcam lithium ion battery by 3.6v NiMh battery directly? posible?

kutkm_ti

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
replace dashcam lithium ion battery by 3.6v NiMh battery directly?

i planing use 3 x sanyo/panasonic/fujitsu AAA eneloop nimh battery 3.6v to my dashcam, any comment?

lithium ion charger 4.2v , 4.2v/3=1.4V per one NiMh cell,let say NiMh cell can't get full charging by lithium ion charger ,maybe AAA eneloop nimh 700mAh still can get half capacity with internal dashcam charger =350mAh still enough, any comment?

NiMh safer than lithium ion and maybe better than supercapacitor??

NiMh tend to get quite warm or even hot while charging quickly, especially if there is no ventilation, a lipo under the same charge rate hardly warms up at all, you might have to limit the charge rate...

Can the AAA NiMh produce enough current while discharging?

Biggest problem is fitting them in the camera, they will need more space for the same capacity when compared to lipo.

@Nigel brings up a good point. Charging may be one issue but discharging is another. Both Li-ion and NiMh operate at different C-rate capacities.

The NiMh won't last due to heat, possibily discharge rate and the memory effect.

There's also the lower voltage involved, same as what happens with crappy PS's or USB cables, which will probably make this a no-go. Shouldn't hurt the cam to try anyway.

Phil

What do you want to accomplish?

If to avoid running down your car battery when unattended, I suggest researching if your car has battery rundown protection and selecting a circuit protected by it. I drove home from a half-day interview and found the overhead map lights on from the morning. Since that's typically enough to stress or kill a battery, likely the car had me covered.

If you want the ability to record for extended periods and have room for a 12V sealed lead-acid battery, I suggest wiring one with an add-a-fuse connector, a diode in series and a loose 12V connection and and use the provided dashcam cord. The car will charge the battery and the dashcam will be powered and protected as intended by the manufacturer without risk of damage from alterations.

USB battery packs are another option. I do have a dashcam powered via usb connection that only operates with the provided cord. Apparently it makes uses specifically configured connections to know when connected to a computer vs just power.

Good luck

Back