Replace gopro lens

DennisOlof

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I wonder if people in here can make this more clear for me.

I know that you can replace the lens on a gopro (lets use gopro 4 silver) and that would then give you a narrow FOV instead of the wide version that comes as standard. And the wide version does have the fisheye effect on the video, lines get warped and so on and some (or all) lens replacements can give you problems when trying to use a underwater case for the gopro.

Am I correct in assuming that you can only replace the lens and not the sensor on the gopro ?
The lens needs to be focused after installing, how you you do this to perfection, is it hard to do this ?

If you choose not to replace the lens, does the fisheye affect the entire image, I am guessing this is not as noticeable in the center portion of the image ? Or is it just the, for example outside 30% of the image that suffers a lot of fisheye ?

Is it worth replacing the lens and can you the eliminate the fisheye all together from the video ?

Nigel, thanks.

Well reason I ask is I can not decide if I would get a gopro 4 silver or gitup2. But it would be nice to know how hard it is to change the lens.

Seems problematic and not that easy anyway.

Back