En_croute

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
DR900s (50% Stolen!)
Hi All,

Long time no visit.
Unfortunately, my DR900S 2CH front camera was nicked last week - they smashed the passenger window and grabbed the camera, leaving the cables to the PowerMagic & Rear camera dangling.

It might have been recording - depending on the angle of approach - but there's no WiFi available - and they now have the footage.
I've tried to raise a ticket with Blackvue to see if the camera has been/attempted to be re-registered - no response as yet.

Thinking about replacements - and the problem is that any hardwired camera is quite visible - and I was wondering if there are any units out there that have a separate recording module - so only the camera is on the windscreen - and the recording box could be secured elsewhere?

For now I have a PowerPro and a rear camera and no functionality - and a week to wait for Autoglass.
Oh, and shattered glass everywhere!

PS: Any suggestions (other than eBay) where to search for Front Cameras - I have my cloud ID - so can identify if my unit is for sale?

Cheers, Séan

There are now a few options with the main recording unit remote from one or more cameras, i am running the street guardian SG9663DR and it do well.
But of course no SG camera have any of the smarts in the blackvue cameras, and they are also just 1080p cameras.
The DR do not work with your current HW kit, but also do not matter as it come with a HW kit as standard, so you still would have to replace your old kit.

A few days into the new year i had my car broken into too, though no broken windows, and i also got my test sample of the viofo A139 vandalized and the rear view mirror ripped off its mount, i assume as the cabin camera of the A139 was right there.
Sadly they did not power the car so no recordings either.

I am now contemplating a hidden identification camera powered by the cabin light, and i have replaced my broken PTZ camera so i again have CCTV on the parked car at home.

You could hope for the thief or buyer of your camera, put power to it and connect wifi so it could send something to your cloud stuff, that would be a pretty nice way to nick them.
Maybe via you could get a identifying IP of who ever uploaded that stuff and then backtrack that way. :)

Sadly as i recall the camera do not use a standard power connector like a USB plug, so it is not going to get powered anytime soon, but do keep a eye on your cloud to see if anything new pop up.

Forgot to mention in my video the camera of course have wifi, which you can turn on by long pressing the remote event button which have 3 functions.
1 press create event file
long press turn on / off wifi
really long press turn off the system in case you park in your garage at home and so dont need parking guard there.

Last edited:
You could hope for the thief or buyer of your camera, put power to it and connect wifi so it could send something to your cloud stuff, that would be a pretty nice way to nick them.
Maybe via you could get a identifying IP of who ever uploaded that stuff and then backtrack that way. :)

Sadly as i recall the camera do not use a standard power connector like a USB plug, so it is not going to get powered anytime soon, but do keep a eye on your cloud to see if anything new pop up.
I'm keeping an eye out!
But they'd have to add a new WiFi SSID - and would probably remove the cloud registration....
#WeLiveInHope...

if you are in the US, try owl cam

you need subscription, but it would have caught your thieves

As it happens, I'm in the UK.
The problem is that these (inc. the Blackview) are relatively big and quite noticeable - and opportunistic thieves will grab it.
The opportunities for my 2CH camera being sold without the 2nd camera or any of the proprietary cables are low - the SD card will be used I expect - the camera is doubtful.

So I went for the Camdii K2S as it has a remote recording unit and small unobtrusive cameras.
Thank you to Lee at combi.org.uk and the poster who suggested it & them.

The installer is now booked for install & cable swap out!

Attachments

• 20210210_121314.jpg
    20210210_121314.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210210_121512.jpg
    20210210_121512.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back