Replacement for BlackVue DR500GW-HD

Yeshua

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Dash Cam
VIOFO A129 Pro
I've been using my BV since 2014 in 2 different cars. Still pretty satisfied, but I'm looking for something with a sharper image. I've looked at DR750X and DR900X, but I'm under the impression the image could be better and they're pretty pricey, even more if you want a larger microSD.

What I want (some things pretty obvious):
- G-sensor
- loop recording
- microSD
- 4k (or 1080 at 60fps?)
- heat resistant (BV can go up to 70°C, never failed me in all those years and I need it since my car is parked outside)
- overall, a good quality image, day and night
- CPL filter, if needed (this STARVIS sensor seems interesting)
(- microphone)

Not really necessary:
- screen (BV connects to my smartphone through WiFi which is fine)
- parking mode
- cloud capability
- doesn't have to be BlackVue

I have a budget of around 500 to 600 euro. Any suggestions?

The upper end of Viofo's cam range has some of the best video quality you can get today, and worth their price. Blackvue has never been known to approach that level though some of their cams do quite good with this. Then there are Street Guardian's cams, great in high heat but not the top in resolution numbers. They are the best you'll find for the resolution they use, matching or exceeding the vid quality of a lot of cams having higher specs. A bit costly but the quality and support is worth it. Blackvue abd Thinkware do some good cams still, but you pay a lot for their advanced features- you decide if they are for you.

As 4K cams have become more common, we're seeing some having problems with overheating, and even some of the best-performing 2K cams sometimes have trouble with this. I'd watch that aspect closely in making a cam choice. There are many cams which are OK, I mention this only because in recent times the issue has become wider in scope. In the old days the LiPo battery was the heat problem, now it can be the cam itself. My top personal choices would be: A139 for 3-channel, one of SG's cams or A129 Plus for 2 channels, and A119V3 for single channel. The DR750X is a 2-channel with more features and good video quality, overall I like the vids better than from the
DR900X; you look and decide that for yourself. Blueskysea make some budget-friendly cams with above average video quality for their price. Garmin would be on my list but their better cams still use LiPo's so don't do high heat well. Really good cams otherwise except for their "Mini".

Phil

Forgot to mention: I only need one channel.

Thanks for the advice, A119 V3 looks very nice to me. GPS and CPL filter are options, so that's good. Question: I've briefly searched YouTube, but didn't find the answer. Once mounted, can the camera be tilted up and down, as is the case with BlackVue?

Forgot to mention: I only need one channel.

Thanks for the advice, A119 V3 looks very nice to me. GPS and CPL filter are options, so that's good. Question: I've briefly searched YouTube, but didn't find the answer. Once mounted, can the camera be tilted up and down, as is the case with BlackVue?
The A119V3 camera body mounts rigidly, but incorporates a lens housing which has a wide range of vertical aim which 'clicks' into place to stay where you put it. You might also want to consider their A129 single-cam option, though it's also available as the A129 Duo with a rear cam. Even better vid quality with that one.

Phil

Are you talking about the A129 Pro? I read it has (had) some issues: double beep and missing videos. Any idea if this still is the case? (I just realized: maybe I should better ask this in the Viofo subforum?) Thanks again for all your help!

The A129 line-up can be confusing. There's an A129 single, an A129 Duo (2-channel), and A129 Plus (2-channel), and an A129 Pro (2-channel). The "Pro" might be available as a 1-channel, I'm really not sure. Some have issues with parking modes which you said you weren't needing, but whichever cam you're thinking about needs a bit of research before purchasing. Of the cams I've spoken of I have personal experience with the A139 and some Blueskysea cams only- the rest of what I know comes from reading other's experiences, mostly here on DCT but through some YouTube reviews and some other places too. I and some other folks here could be described as having a dashcam addiction I think :cool:

Phil

Back