Replacement power cord for MG380G?

sgtrock

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

I bought a MateGo MG380G from SpyTec a few months back and a couple days ago the power plug broke. One of the two wires severed right at the point where they enter the DC plug. I bought the device through Amazon.

I contacted SpyTec to ask how to replace it and their response is that they no longer carry it and they offered me an even swap with one of their other cameras. But they still sell them on Amazon and one of their chat support reps said they still carry them they are just temporarily out of stock. Odd....

Assuming I want to keep my current camera, is there a way to get a replacement power cord? I'm guessing I would have to buy some kind of generic power cord? But I'm not sure what to get, and wondering if anyone here has any similar experience and guidance.

Alternately would it just be better to get another camera? The reason I went with this one is because of its very high heat tolerance and the fact that it can mount under the rearview mirror. I hate mounting there because it obstructs my view but it puts the camera behind the sun shade, which is critical since I'm in the south. I had two A118C's experience severe focal shift from intense heat during the summer. So I'm not sure what else will withstand 150-160 degree internal heat and direct sunlight for 8-12 hours a day. Right now the heat isn't an issue but it will be within six months.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance!

check with @Street Guardian USA if he has any power cables in stock, I know they have ordered more but not sure if out of stock right now, we have a few different models that take the same lead

if you need to DIY and repair the lead the connector type is a 35135 (same as what used to be used on old Nokia phone chargers, 3.5mm OD, 1.35mm ID)

Thanks @jokiin for the advice. I'll see what I can find out on that front.

Speaking of Street Guardian, the SG9665GC was the other option I was considering for high heat. I figured it would be worth the $200 for reliability. But then I found this complaint which has essentially the same issue (focal shift) that the SG is explicitly not supposed to have since it has a metal lens: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/comments/4nfa3w/sg9665gc_loses_focus_during_extreme_heat/

So is the SG9665GC susceptible to heat or not? It isn't clear if buying one would be a viable solution. I prefer its form factor but that also means it is exposed to the sun all the time since it is against the windshield, so there's no way to shade it in a large parking lot. At least with the mirror-mount I can mangle a sun shield in front of it during the summer.

When I complained to SpyTec originally regarding the focal shift from the A118C's their response was to unplug it and take it down every time the car stopped -- which seemed frankly absurd because it mounts so tightly to the window. Plus unplugging it constantly will stress the cord and break it. So is there no "foolproof" dash cam solution for extreme heat like this?

we average around 1 instance of focus shift per 1000 pieces, could be manufacturing tolerances/faults maybe, the A118 used a plastic lens which was more susceptible to heat shift, if it gets hot enough any camera can have issues with extreme temps

Thanks @jokiin for the advice. I'll see what I can find out on that front.

Speaking of Street Guardian, the SG9665GC was the other option I was considering for high heat. I figured it would be worth the $200 for reliability. But then I found this complaint which has essentially the same issue (focal shift) that the SG is explicitly not supposed to have since it has a metal lens: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/comments/4nfa3w/sg9665gc_loses_focus_during_extreme_heat/

So is the SG9665GC susceptible to heat or not? It isn't clear if buying one would be a viable solution. I prefer its form factor but that also means it is exposed to the sun all the time since it is against the windshield, so there's no way to shade it in a large parking lot. At least with the mirror-mount I can mangle a sun shield in front of it during the summer.

When I complained to SpyTec originally regarding the focal shift from the A118C's their response was to unplug it and take it down every time the car stopped -- which seemed frankly absurd because it mounts so tightly to the window. Plus unplugging it constantly will stress the cord and break it. So is there no "foolproof" dash cam solution for extreme heat like this?
If a metal lens holder cant stand the heat, plastic holder cant do better. After 7 hours under direct sun at parking mode in california, any dashcam will has problem not just street guardian.

@thancam When you say in parking mode I'm assuming you mean with the camera recording while the vehicle is off? Because certainly that would generate more heat. In my case the device would be completely shut off so it wouldn't generate any extra heat. It would just be exposed through the windshield all day. I'm also in the southeast US not in California but I don't think that will make much difference, since it also gets extremely hot here in the summer. Thanks.

@thancam When you say in parking mode I'm assuming you mean with the camera recording while the vehicle is off? Because certainly that would generate more heat. In my case the device would be completely shut off so it wouldn't generate any extra heat. It would just be exposed through the windshield all day. I'm also in the southeast US not in California but I don't think that will make much difference, since it also gets extremely hot here in the summer. Thanks.
Plastic and metal expand when be heat. So it doesnt depend on vehicle is off or camera is off but temperature of camera. The tempeture of cam depend on temp inside your car. When air conditioner of your car is off, the temperature in your car is very high, so the tempeture of cam is high too. This hight temp made lens to be shift focus. And lens made by plastic is more effected by heat than one made by metal.

in general any lens will be affected if it gets hot enough, most metal lenses will return to their prior state very quickly once they cool off a bit, the plastic lenses can be permanently affected

In my case the device would be completely shut off so it wouldn't generate any extra heat. It would just be exposed through the windshield all day. I'm also in the southeast US not in California but I don't think that will make much difference, since it also gets extremely hot here in the summer. Thanks.
When you have no other option than to leave the car in the sun, buying a different camera isn't the solution. All you have to do is protect the one you have as best as you can. There are several ways of doing it but these 2 are the ones I find to be more effective:
- Try to leave the car with its back towards the sun, rather than the front. The interior will get hot all the same but the camera won't be exposed to the UV radiation and will cool down faster when you turn the A/C on or ventilate the car.
- If you have to park it facing the sun, get one of those "metallic" sun shades, the bigger ones, and put it on the OUTSIDE of the windshield, stuck between the front doors. It reflexes most of the UV radiation and prevents the glass from heating up, protecting the camera much better than if you put it inside.

Maybe I'm not telling you anything new but helping out never hurt anyone. :)

Back