Replacing BMW Advanced Car Eye 1.0

Nixxx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm considering replacement of my BMW Advanced Car Eye v1.0 with something a bit more modern. Car is a 2014 BMW 5 series estate.

I'd like to choose a front + rear camera that uses as much of the existing wiring and power tap as possible. I want to avoid re-running the cable to the back window (it was a PITA). 1080p or 2k is fine for front, 1080p rear is enough. Parking mode that does not drain battery is a must (supposedly the BMW Advanced Car Eye had some integration with the "BMW Intelligent Battery System" but that's probably garbage marketing speak. )

The BMW Advanced Car Eye v1 is hard-wired into my car and the 12v power plug for the camera resembles the one used for BlackVue 750x/950x cameras. It uses a Mini USB cable to power and receive signal from the rear camera. So, this means replacement cam should operate on Mini USB or let me use an adapter. The Car Eye has an external GPS antenna but I'd hope the camera I buy has it integrated or in the mount.

Suggestions?

You could try the 2.0 version of that cam.

Probably the most likely (if not only) way to meet your goal of using existing wiring. Looks like it meets your spec desires.

I wouldn't buy from Amazon for fear of fakes, but the link shows specs, which the BMW USA site didn't.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07Q2HRXRG

The bmw camera is only given a 12v, Acc and earth the same as any other 3 wire hardwire and there is no coding to tell the car it is there so the integration claim is marketing as you suspect.
Obviously if you reuse the current connections the wiring won’t be an issue, if you change them I’d recommend using the same connection points to minimise issues with the power management.

Thanks all.. yeah I figure I could cut / splice the power plug off if the new camera doesn't support the same connector. My main issue is the rear camera operates off of what is essentially a long USB (mini) cable. Not many rear cameras today run on USB. Any decent cams run USB to the rear?

Back