Replacing the lens on dashcam...

Marlin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a R280 camera and it has the lens issue where when it gets hot it will blur the video. Well I bought a metal 2.5mm lens on eBay to replace the cheap plastic one. But now it seems the lens is not a 2.5mm as the picture is VERY zoomed in like a much larger MM size.

Does anyone know a way to look at a lens and tell what size it is? I am going to upload the video from my drive home tonight so you can see the difference, and also make sure the seller knows there may be a problem with his lens. But before I do that I want to make sure I do not blame the seller/lens when its not meant for my camera or something else?

I really can't say nothing for sure because i have ambarella chip and this yours is zoran, and therefore lense sizes may not match.
I can say that 2,5 mm sounds very wide to me, and in my camera angle would be enormous with that lense, and when i look your sample it looks to me like it would be something like 6 mm or more.
But as i said, this would be the case with ambarella chip.

Even though lense mm number is measure where it focuses image behind a lense, it is impossible to measure it by yourself because it is measured from lense optical centre, and you can't really know where it is inside the housing.

From the experience i can tell you that there is a relative way to look lenses.
Take lense in your hand and look it from behind (see image) and look the size of lense hole, if you have two lenses in your hand that way you can say which is wider or narrower, bigger the hole, wider the lense.
What you can see in image below, there is two lenses, i suspect that sizes are something like 3 - 3,6mm (like you, i can't say anymore for sure :) )
So, right now only thing you can do is compare your old lense and new lense side by side and see what they look compared to each other. I can't say for sure but i very much doubt that this new lense is not 2,5mm, if it is then optical system in your camera is totally different than mine.
Image1.jpg

Back