replacing the mobius red LED with a little speaker

fredp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if i swapped the red LED with a little speaker (from a old cell phone or a old k2000) do you reckon this would work? i was looking for a sort of beep or chirp that would indicate that the mobius is recording in my car

Is it a question of the LED circuit not having enough volts to driv the speaker or risk of overheating the camera?

Let me spell this out...

The LED circuit is either on or off. Most likely we have around 5ma to 20ma of current running through the LED when it's on.

A speaker needs more than just an on or off to make a sound. It needs a rapid series of on/off pulses to make a sound. A solid on to a speaker will not make any sound.

Now there are devices called buzzers (beepers) that make a sound when they see power, BUT the sound is there as long as the power is present. After 2 minutes of listening to this endless tone, you'll hate the idea.

What you want is a circuit that makes a nice 1/2 second chirp when power is applied and stops until the power is applied again. It can be built, but it's not something you can get off the shelf.

Bob Diaz

Reactions: Mtz
i got the idea as the mobius flashes its LED periodically

fredp said:
i got the idea as the mobius flashes its LED periodically

It does, 1 second on and one second off or 0.5Hz. That's too low in frequency for hearing. Sorry, but I forgot it flashes.

jokiin said:
BobDiaz said:
It can be built, but it's not something you can get off the shelf.

or would fit inside the case

You're right, any circuit would have to go outside the case, there's just no more room for additional components.

Bob Diaz

Back