Repurposing a rear-mount camera

Thespasticone

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just received this product as a gift
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B010H0SL9OOne of the items that it comes with is an optional rear license plate mounted camera. The problem is it requires drilling a hole to mount, and getting into the wiring (optional) to get it to work as a back-up cam as well. I lease a 2014 Mercedes, so any mods like drilling holes are out!
This camera is completely separate. it has a wire that is a 4-pin output that goes into another wire that eventually connects to the rear-view-mirror-mounted main unit through what I believe is a 2.5mm port.

SOOOOO the question is this; is there anything ELSE I can do with this camera? can I connect it to my computer somehow as a webcam, or use it for security, or something like that? Thanks!

No your rear camera is proberly a analog camera, so use as a webcam is out.
you might be able to connect it to your tv, if you can figure out what the pin out is.
If the plug have 4 pins then 2 of them is the power ( can be 12 V or 5 V ) and 1 will be the signal from the camera, and i assume the last one is shielding.
The little camera only provide 480p signal, thats about same resolution as you parents watched the live Apollo launches in the early 70ties, it will just be in color.

If you don't mind a little 'dirty work' you can look and see if there's a grommet large enough to pass the cable through into the trunk. Some cars have a flexible grommet meant to accommodate trailer-light wiring should it be added later on. It's worth a look, you might get lucky! You could always devise a simple bracket to mount the cam to an existing bolt without drilling the car.

Those with enough persistence will usually find a way!

Phil

there's often a gap in the license plate light lens housing where you could sneak a wire through into the trunk, then route it along the factory wiring, along the arm and down to the hinge to get into the vehicle. yes, it requries taking stuff apart, but it's not permanent nor does it require drilling/cutting. maybe just a few zip-ties to keep teh wire from getting caught as you open/close the trunk. and if you have an electrically operated trunk, be careful to keep all wiring clear of the motors/gears that open/close the trunk. of course, if you follow the existing wiring, that won't be a problem.

or you could mount it to the top of the rearview mirror, pointing in, so that it records the interior. that could be useful if you do uber (which i doubt with a new mercedes lol) or just to prove that the driver was NOT playing with their phone or whatever if anything happens.

Back