reputable brand names on generic chinese cams

docBol

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
So,

I've been hunting for a dashcam for my parents. While browsing the web I've found that dashcams seem to pop up everywhere in "local" online shops, car accessory dealers and camera stores. Less than 2 years ago I could hardly find any, except for the few brave importers.

While this sounds like a good thing, I've been very surprised to find reputable brand names, some from the high end car electronics sector, on what I previously considered el cheapo Chinese cams.

Ok, in some cases you actually pay a more or less correct price despite the brand name, but it still bothers me. Folks like my parents, when they would be shopping on their own, would buy the first one with a brand name they recognize.

Also I seem to find a lot of really overpriced re-branded cams as well. Thanks to this forum I'm unlikely to buy one of those, but not every one takes the time to research what they buy, thinking more expensive is better.

so far I've found blaupunkts and grundig cams

http://www.conrad.be/ce/nl/product/...-V-Kijkhoek-horizontaal-270-?ref=searchDetail
http://www.conrad.be/ce/nl/product/...-V-Kijkhoek-horizontaal-120-?ref=searchDetail

anyone else find over the top examples of this?

As per brand name and price buying locally ( incl. local warranty and service ) both dashcams listed are sort of ok, but they are very old 3-4y technology. For starter ( average Joe ) they are ok to start with.

so far I've found blaupunkts and grundig cams

Decades ago, Blaupunkt & Grundig were manufacturers of quality products. Now, in the UK market at least, they're merely brand names put on cheap imported goods. The same, sadly, is true of Hitachi & JVC.

I understand the business model, they pay a fee to use the name, the name very quickly becomes worthless when they put it on rubbish products though, that's very dumb of the owner of the brand name to not at least have some say in what products can be branded with their name

I'll have to take a picture of the crap branded with the Hyundai name next time I visit the local pound store :)

I'll have to take a picture of the crap branded with the Hyundai name next time I visit the local pound store :)

funny enough that was a name I was going to mention, you can slap that name on anything for a price, we had a wholesaler here in Australia that was authorised to use it and they put it on the lowest quality junk electronics they could find, they drove the name into the ground very quickly

well, at least the price on these 2 was not outrageous.

I've already seen a G1W clone for 150€ as well and a rebranded dvrxx7 at 70€

I have yet to see anything state side that compares within half in features or price with foxoffer or similar retailers through amazon and similar online providers offer. As to quality and issues, from my experience and threads here, I feel most problems are sourced to inadequate manuals, start-up guidance and trouble shoot direction and a shortage of patience. Because I don't let a problem go until I get to the roots, my four are up and running. My first and most expensive unit is heading for the heap as soon winter breaks due to stability and user friendly issues. Consequently, I suggest you read reviews here and focus more on getting what others found successful with the features you desire rather than getting one within a dollar of the best price.

Oh,

I've already got my own Dashcam, a DR32, which I bought quite a while ago (before they increased the price because they became popular) after reading reviews here and seeing a video on techmoan.

The only reason why I've been looking at more local sources is because my parent expressed an interest in one for their car, and I know they'd feel more comfortable if there was a local shop to buy from, or at least an online shop situated in the Benelux.
They are very wary of ebay and the likes (always afraid that they will get ripped off) and "made in China" very much sounds like cheap and probably not very good to them.

I'll probably end up ordering from niko's online shop when it is up and running.

I guess I've been ranting a bit because I've currently got a bit to much time on my hands.

I think Hyundai was the first brand which accepted to almost anybody to put the Hyundai name on their sh*t products. I remember some TVs and DVD Players which were looking awful, old technology.
Just a sticker can tell things about quality.

hyundai spate.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Back