Request for Firmware Change for SJ5000plus

OldMan01

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This Fall I bought 2 more action-cams. I bought the SJCAM SJ5000Plus specifically to try out the Ambarella chipset with the Panasonic sensor, and the Gitup Git2 with the 4.35mm rectilinear lens. According to SJCAM's Website, the SJ5000Plus is a discontinued product, so I am not expecting that my suggestion will be followed for this product. However, I would also suggest similar changes for the SJCAM M20 and also the Gitup Git2 products which I also have, so I am posting this in this area first, but will probably follow it up with similar notes in the other areas.

When the SJCAM SJ5000Plus came out it was said to have a Zoom function. Someone showed my a previous SJCAM product and it had a zoom function controlled by the up and down buttons on the side. I think that if you pushed the up button it zoomed towards Telephoto and if you pushed the down button it zoomed towards wide angle. This was a good idea.

What I would like on the SJCAM SJ5000Plus and M20 is a similar function based on the up and down buttons. But it does not have to be a "smooth zoom" function. I just want it to select the next narrower field of view each time you press "up" and the next wider view each time you press "down", until you get to the end of possible changes. That way I can press up once to get a narrower view (if there is one) or press it twice to get much narrower, or down once or twice with the opposite results. This is actually better for my needs than a "smooth zoom" function because it is a precise change for each button press. Being able to do this repetitively can be very effective. An example where this kind of function would be good is in the second part of this video:

"20160826 AKA Crescendo - MEGARock Toronto CNE 2016 Sampler"

This video was done with a normal video camcorder with an optical zoom, but in this case, simple changes jumping wider or narrower would be very effective.

your camera can t have a optical zoom. If they mod the firmware , you will get a numeric zoom. Numeric zoom is almost useless because you will see more the pixels (bad IQ) Numeric zoom is good to set the focus but your cam is fixed focus. If you really want to zoom in , you can do it with your computer programe

I just tested this with my friend's SJ5000+ and it does have a digital zoom function via press-and-hold of either the up/down button.

Aha! I just was not holding the buttons long enough. Ok, I do not need that change. But it does bring up another possible set of changes:

If you touch the power button when the SJ5000+ is "Off" it turns on too easily. There should be more delay. And regarding these "zoom" functions, the buttons need to be held a bit too long, so a bit less delay on them would be nice.

The power button not having enough delay is a real problem. I have had the camera turns on by accident, which needlessly drains the battery. Others have said so too.

Aha! I just was not holding the buttons long enough. Ok, I do not need that change. But it does bring up another possible set of changes:

If you touch the power button when the SJ5000+ is "Off" it turns on too easily. There should be more delay. And regarding these "zoom" functions, the buttons need to be held a bit too long, so a bit less delay on them would be nice.

The power button not having enough delay is a real problem. I have had the camera turns on by accident, which needlessly drains the battery. Others have said so too.

Given that they've discontinued the SJ5000+ already I don't expect to see any firmware updates from them. SJCam could've easily added new features like long exposure, etc. but it seems like they're focusing more on the newer models.

Personally, I'm not a fan of delayed power-on but SJCam started incorporating that feature in the recent firmware updates for some of their cams. I think they're still tweaking the delay though since the current preset power-on delay was too long so some people were complaining about it.

If we receive enough requests for firmware update, we may be able to have another upgrade. Please submit SJ5000+ feature requests to: support@sjcamhd.com

Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
harunjo SJ5000 0
TonyCams SJ5000 3
Back