Request. Suction mount, capicator powered, parking mode, wireless and voice control.

Lbs

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I need a recommendation. Does any camera meet all those needs? I drive a number of company vehicles so I can’t use adhesive. I’m also in Texas and leave my car in direct sun all day. Im also looking fur something in the $100 range.

Most cameras today have wifi, but just to do settings and maybe DL a file now and then.
You do need capacitor camera in TX, no doubt about that, and for just sitting there when parked ( not doing parking guard ) any good camera should be able to deal with too.
But you can not do parking mode under those circumstances, if the camera was on too and generating heat too, that and the sun will push it over the thermal shut down temperature in no time.
You might be able to do parking mode if you park in the shade or in a parking garage, but out in the streets in the sun in TX,,,,,, forget about it.
Voice control i dont know why you would want, some cameras do claim like aleaxa integration, but for why i dont know, it also seem to be not working too well on the cameras that have that stuff.

In general the more "smart" stuff you want from a dashcam the more chance you have of problems, and most often it even impact image quality, so my recommendation are always go for a good "stupid" dashcam.

I cant think of any suction cup camera to recommend you, they are out there, and you can also adopt most wedge or tube shaped dashcams to some adapter suction cup mounts often used for radar detectors.

Viofo A119 V3?
It has an optional suction cup.
The parking mode will work off a powerbank unlike most dashcams, which will be useful since you can't hardwire.
No voice control though, so you will have to get a suction mount for your phone too!

So I need a recommendation. Does any camera meet all those needs? I drive a number of company vehicles so I can’t use adhesive. I’m also in Texas and leave my car in direct sun all day. Im also looking fur something in the $100 range.

If you can swing a bit more money, I would suggest the Viofo A129 Duo. It runs without fail in hot weather. Has front + Rear Camera. Has a Supercapcitor. Supports Parking mode that also works in very hot weather. And I adhered the 3M adhesive to an arkon suction mount. You could do so with both cameras if you choose.

I've run 2 x A129 Duos for over a year and never had a hiccup. There are a few bugs, mainly dupe frame, but it's not noticeable or relevant to fret over.

FYI: if you need portability of the cameras, you could just toss the rear cable wire aside so it's out of the way, instead of doing a clean wire tuck install.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000FGI9R0
Doubt you'll find anything voice activated in the $100 price range.

While you can use a powerbank for parking mode, it will be subject to similar heat issues as the camera unless active cooling is implemented. All of my lithium powered jumper packs have bulged after spending a year or so in the car and they were just sitting there. Being used and charged on a daily basis will not bode well and there's a lot more stored energy in a powerbank should a catastrophic failure occur. A secondary lead acid battery may be a safer choice if constant daytime parking mode is required.

KuoH

The parking mode will work off a powerbank unlike most dashcams, which will be useful since you can't hardwire.

Since he change car often a rear camera are probably just a problem.

but the linked suction cup adapter is the one i was thinking about for use with models not made for suction cup like wedge and tube cameras.

Also for parking mode in different vehicles, you sort of have to do it of a power bank as hard wire normally used for parking mode are not a option, but in Texas i think that dont matter much, at least not this time of the year.

Yeah, a dual channel rear cam will be an inconvenience. At least, you'll need to tuck the cable out of way of any airbag locations.

If rear coverage is desired, two single channel cams would be a better approach.

Yeah, a dual channel rear cam will be an inconvenience. At least, you'll need to tuck the cable out of way of any airbag locations.

If rear coverage is desired, two single channel cams would be a better approach.

He could just let the cable dangle if he changes cars often and not bother with a clean tuck. Otherwise, a front camera with suction cup, I.E. Viofo would be the route to take. Those withstand heat no problem.

For a dual camera, how about a Blueskysea B2W?
Suction cup available.
No rear cable.
Rotatable rear camera.
Wireless.
Voice (but no voice control)
Not heard of any heat problems.

No heat problems with the B2W. Mine runs 24/7 and has seen my van parked in full sun closed up with outside temps nearing 100F/32C for 6 hours or more. Slight focus shift but goes back withing a few minutes once I get rolling. I love this cam, but it doesn't fit every car well due to it's form-factor.

An older solution but may be worth a look: the original Mobius is one of the best (if not THE best) in heat and IIRC there are sun visor clips and suction mounts you can use with it. Not good in low-light but good daytime, very reliable, tiny, and can take big cards. Note that you must supply mount and PS yourself. Uses a Windows app for settings.

On the cheap the G1W/C is still around, build quality and vids variable. A fair amount of focus shift in heat which may become permanent in time, but refocusing is relatively easy. LCD screen may fade out in heat but the cam usually keeps recording. PS's may be low quality with these but overall a decent basic non-stealthy cam.

Phil

It's the only Garmin with capacitors, far as I can see.
Does voice control.
Has interior camera.
Cost's 200 bucks more than you want to spend.

Garmin has their "Mini" with caps- and more than it's share of issues too :( Garmin does some good cams, but so far those are still LiPo models.

Phil

I saw some guy review the mini, and having problems with it almost setting fire to itself, BUT ! it was just if you used parking mode, if you used it as a regular dashcam just for driving it was just fine.
And this might have been fixed with a firmware update since then.

No matter the camera, i dont think OP will be able to do parking guard in the streets of the great state of Texas,,,,,, at least not this time of the year.

It was the first of theirs I heard about to use caps, and liking small cams I had a look but was quite disappointed :( If you can't take the heat, get off of the windshield :LOL:

Phil

curious why the OP wants voice control.. was trying to go over some scenarios in my head and i cant honestly think of when voice control would be useful to me (or be a better solution). so im curious on what OP would use it for

Well i am amazed those Amazon / Google / Apple talk to thingies sell so well, It is probably wonderful if you are severely handicapped, but i see absolutely no reason for healthy sane people to interact with a devise that way.
This whole group of tech some people call smart this and smart that, well i am not on board at all with that.

It is imperative humans keep their interaction with electronic devises down to a absolutely minimum IMHO, just look at what phones in the pocket have done to the world,,,,,, horrible.

Well i am amazed those Amazon / Google / Apple talk to thingies sell so well,
I could understand it, if it wasn't for the fact that almost everyone has a mobile phone, and mobile phones are perfectly capable of providing that same feature, including providing dashcam control... "Hey Siri, Take photo", "Hey Siri, Lock dashcam".

*shrugs* if i was traveling at anything more than 5mph.. and i said "hey siri/google" wait for 1-2 seconds for response, then said "take a picture"... i'd be well past whatever i was trying to capture a picture of anyway. it would have been easier to just reach up and press the photo button on the dashcam. keep in mind the OP is wanting a suction cup mount.. likely not going to be "stealthily" tucked away on the windshield, should be in easy reach/view

maybe im just old school

*shrugs* if i was traveling at anything more than 5mph.. and i said "hey siri/google" wait for 1-2 seconds for response, then said "take a picture"... i'd be well past whatever i was trying to capture a picture of anyway. it would have been easier to just reach up and press the photo button on the dashcam. keep in mind the OP is wanting a suction cup mount.. likely not going to be "stealthily" tucked away on the windshield, should be in easy reach/view

maybe im just old school
Yes, that one only makes sense when you are stopped, but "Hey Siri, lock file" makes sense, and is safer to say than to reach up behind the mirror for a button. (and you don't have to wait the 1-2 seconds!)

I prefer the bluetooth remote though.

Back