Requesting Advice on Reviewing Customer Support From Public vs "Invisible" Manufactuers

AndrewL

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm currently finishing a review of the Ausdom A261 vs Shenzhen Dome D201.

I originally condemned Shenzhen Dome for having bad customer service. From their website, it's clear they don't care about their English customer service. They don't respond to emails, post customer information and make it difficult to get firmware updates and playback software.

Originally I was OK with my decision but I thought about reviews on cameras like the G1W and A118C which come from an unknown factory who provide service only through their distributors/retailers. I've given them a pass because they don't have a website to criticize.

I don't think that's fair especially when prices are similar. I was comfortable with the A118/G1W because there's a Spytec in many countries which customers can pay a premium for warranty services. There's nothing for Shenzhen Dome.

After thinking about this issue I'm leaning towards softening my stance and stating there is little support, especially once retailer support ends (>30 Days). I'm no longer going to say to avoid the company completely.

I published the written review (to be revised) but I had trouble finishing the video which is why I would appreciate any help and alternative perspectives.

the challenge with products like the Dome model is that even if they are sold locally it's most often by opportunists rather than people that actually offer much in the way of support, even if they do try and support it they don't get the support from the factory, we've seen this previously where products may get revised versions but if you own the earlier version you're stuck with what you've got, that's the type of business model they have though so I'm not sure that's ever going to change

Just an FYI to people who may be interested in the Dome DAB201 and DAB202, I have been stocking them for the last few weeks. Also, knowing that people maybe hesitant to buy a Dome camera if they have to ship it back to China if there is an issue, I offer a one year warranty when purchased through www.CaptureYourAction.com. This is offered for US buyers only at the moment, as I currently only ship within the United States.

I think your review is fair, though I think a lot of these dash cameras have lots of little issues. Most being little nuances. Some like things this way while others like it that way.

Yes the manual is terrible, but these cameras are all pretty basic. Once you get a hang of how the menu works, which button does what, then you won't really need the manual anyway. Get the camera setup how you like it and you won't be going though the menu very often. It would be frustrating for a newbie though.

Maybe Dome changed the shipping box a little, because all the cameras I have came with cardboard "cradle" that the camera sits in. Everything wasn't just shoved in the box. Certainly not the best packaging as I did add a little padding just in case. The DAB202 actually has nicer packaging, though I'm carrying the Car Major brand as Dome has decided not to make the DAB202 in neutral stock (not yet anyway). I prefer the all black look!

Also, the current firmware in the cameras does display the speed in MPH, but like you said you cannot disable it in the menu. You'd need to unplug the GPS module if you don't want your speed recorded. I don't find GPS info to be of much use anyway, but I know some like it.

I look forward to your revised version.

I offer a one year warranty when purchased through www.CaptureYourAction.com. This is offered for US buyers only at the moment, as I currently only ship within the United States.

Maybe Dome changed the shipping box a little, because all the cameras I have came with cardboard "cradle" that the camera sits in. Everything wasn't just shoved in the box.

The DAB202 actually has nicer packaging, though I'm carrying the Car Major brand as Dome has decided not to make the DAB202 in neutral stock (not yet anyway). I prefer the all black look!

Also, the current firmware in the cameras does display the speed in MPH, but like you said you cannot disable it in the menu. You'd need to unplug the GPS module if you don't want your speed recorded. I don't find GPS info to be of much use anyway, but I know some like it.

I look forward to your revised version.

Hi Capture Your Action, thanks for sharing. Great information.

Your right, I checked other videos and there is a shelf. I only checked another video - US Dash Cams review of the Dome GS98C which had the same issue. I'll redo that section.

Is there any difference between the DAB202 and D201 besides the improved mounting system?

Do you get your firmware straight from the factory?

Jokiin brings up a number of good points regarding manufacturer support. Do you get warranty support from ShenZhen or are you left on your own?

The only differences between the DAB201 and DAB202 are the casing and the lcd screen. The 201 has a 2.7" screen and the 202 has a 3" screen. Yeah, the mount screws into the casing on the 202. That's good or bad, depending if you want be able to easily remove the camera while leaving the mount on the windshield. I have the 202 in my wife's car and it just stays mounted. I just pull the whole thing down if I feel I need to hide it. I like the look a little better than the 201 (all black).

I did get the firmware from Dome. It's version 2240. Both cameras run on the same firmware. Being in the US, having the speed reading in MPH was a must for me. It took some time to get a version with it. I had some issues with one of the versions and they were pretty quick about updating and correcting the issue. I'm actually running version 2287 in my wife's car. This is a version that's been floating around this forum. Seems to work fine and you can set the speed to MPH or KPH.

I offer the 1 year warranty on my own so people feel more comfortable in their purchase. Yes, Dome offers their own 1 year warranty, but no one is going to send their camera back to China for warranty work. At least I doubt they would. I have been working with Dome since late November and have an understanding with them regarding cameras returned due to an issue. Time will tell how this works out, but I certainly expect to get some support.

Last edited:
Thought I'd show our packing of the Dome DAB201 and DAB202. First pic is the DAB201 and second is DAB202. The DAB202 has a little nicer packing box because it's their own brand Car Major and not a neutral stock dash cam.DAB201 Packing.JPG DAB202 Packing.JPG

Thought I'd show our packing of the Dome DAB201 and DAB202. First pic is the DAB201 and second is DAB202. The DAB202 has a little nicer packing box because it's their own brand Car Major and not a neutral stock dash cam.View attachment 21573 View attachment 21574

Interesting, that's way better, thanks for sharing. There's a nice thickness on the cardboard.

I'm not able to find any information on the "Car Major" brand. Is that what you'll receive if someone purchases the DAB202 from you?

Hi Andrew, yes this is exactly how the DAB202 ships from me. It is a nice package.
It's in Chinese, but the Car Major site is below. The DAB202 is called M-G12 under its Car Major brand.
http://www.carmajor.com/product-detail-297.html
Dome also sells under Blackview and Dometravel brand names.
The DAB202 was supposed to be for sale as neutral stock, but for whatever reason, they decided not to. I liked the look of the camera, so I decided to stock it anyway. I had to add an English manual that Dome sent to me in A4 format since they never printed an official English manual. The camera will come with English as the default language.

Back