Requesting Dashcam video / GPS traces for software development

akshay bhat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I am a PhD Student / Software developer trying to build an interactive dash cam video viewer / analytics platform. Over last few months I have been working on analyzing dash cam videos to detect objects, however given the need to debug, I now plan on building a JS/Browser based interface to view GPS and other information without having to install any software.

To do this I need some videos taken from dashcam along with corresponding data files / GPS traces. If you are interested in sharing please leave comment below. The resulting single page app would be public along with the source code on github. I have downloaded several dashcam videos from youtube but sadly they lack corresponding data file.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me on akshayubhat@gmail.com .

Thanks,
Akshay Bhat

YouTube videos won't have the data included, some cameras have the data embedded, some use a separate file with the GPS info, NMEA is a standard that everyone uses but how the data is stored and formatted is not universal so there are lots of variables that need to be accommodated if you wish to support multiple models, can share plenty of files with you no problem, plenty of files posted on this site already but they're all over the place

Thanks jokiin! I am learning about the data formats used, you are of course correct in the difficulty of multiple incompatible formats.
My current idea is to expose spreadsheet style interface with each row corresponding to a second and
columns corresponding to Lat / Long and multiple configurable generic floating point values (e.g. some might contain accelerometer readings).
This would allows the maximum configurability to incorporate multiple formats.

I am searching through the forum but, can you suggest any threads/posts with already uploaded videos and corresponding files?

Thanks,
Akshay

I don't mean to be a smart ass, but seriously. You're a developer. Use Google to search for site:dashcamtalk.com "raw video". You could probably write an algorithm to do the search for you and filter for urls.

Thanks jokiin! I am learning about the data formats used, you are of course correct in the difficulty of multiple incompatible formats.
My current idea is to expose spreadsheet style interface with each row corresponding to a second and
columns corresponding to Lat / Long and multiple configurable generic floating point values (e.g. some might contain accelerometer readings).
This would allows the maximum configurability to incorporate multiple formats.

this software has user selectable options for the fields which seems like a good approach, not sure if that's an idea that would workable for your needs https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/new-osx-app-to-show-video-route.21133/

I have some raw files in Dropbox that should have gps info.
Some have embedded while others have spare gps logger text file.

Thanks jokiin I will take a look.

@Paul Schmehl
Yeah Paul I am not just a developer but an extremely good developer and from my professional experience it turns out politely asking questions to experts in the field is often if not always a good idea.
Since you can uncover quite a bit that haphazard querying on google would not have. There is great story about Microsoft asking its interviewees how to measure weight of
an empty Boeing 787-400, the correct answers (unlike barge/water weight estimation tricks that interviewers would suggest), is simply calling up Boeing and asking them for an answer.

Best,

Awesome answer akshay bhat!

@Paul Schmehl Thanks a lot. I will ensure that audio track is removed.

I plan on buying a dashcam and using a personally recorded clip for the demo.
I won't be distributing any video collected from this website or youtube, along with the software / open source code.
The purpose of collecting videos is to get a representative sample of formatted gps tracks along with the corresponding video files for testing/development purposes.
They won't be shared or made available to any third parties nor distributed online.

Thanks!
Akshay

Paul, I hope you don't mind but I used one of your videos (without any discernable audio) to test a web app - your files were very helpful in helping work out the GPS file formats for various cameras, so thanks. I'd be interested in what you think of your uploaded video. I have already posted the link elsewhere, but here it is again if you are interested. https://www.dashcamroads.com
Alex

Last edited:
If you dig around in here you will find a lot of links to Dl of the raw footage, that should hold the GPS and other sensor values if the camera thats been used for recording have such things

Hang in there M8 i an working on uploading a foder with 2 files ( front and rear ) from my viofo A229 system

Back