Requesting Help: A139 3-Channel Users with Hardwire Kit - Overheat / Hot Climates Test

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Per Topic,

This is not a "Debate Thread". The purpose here is to now find people to run the tests I've done, and verify whether my findings are "Isolated" or "Widespread".

Please post results and findings here.

Parameters: (I've Tested on Firmware 1.2, 1.5, and 1.6 with same results. Also replicated on 2 individual A139 3 Channels)

1. A Viofo A139 3 Channel
2. Viofo A139 3 Channel Hardwired to Fuse Box
3. Enable Low Bitrate Parking Mode on the A139 3 Channel
4. Make sure parking mode works when car is shut off
5. Set Camera to 2K-FHD-FHD in Settings
6. People in Hot Climates...Maybe 30C / 86F with the ability to park in direct sunlight.
7. Park car in direct sunlight, and let A139 3 channel enter Parking Mode. Check on car every few hours to see if camera has "shut down".
8. Check SD card to verify shutdown was overheat (and not voltage).
9. Inspect SD card for corrupt files per the below image.

My Findings: 2K-FHD-FHD

When the A139 3 Channel, set to 2K-FHD-FHD, is parked in direct sunlight on a hot day, the camera turns off. The last files being written (Front + Rear Interior) Are Corrupted.

1629744037389.png

My Findings: FHD-FHD-FHD

Unit would freeze, but not power off. Lights remained illuminated. Last files would also be corrupted similar to above.

Last edited:
Thats not good, i just got the camera, not even installed and closer to winter now so hot days are rare now. I tried hardwire kit with just 1 camera, i did come back to dead camera, powered off, so not sure if it was power failure or heat failure, it was parked in sun over 30c outside inside was probably was 60 plus. What SD card are you using mine is Samsung evo 128gb

I just finished a measured heat test with the A139 (and others) where 71C temps were achieved and held for 20 minutes, doing both regular recording and parking mode using low-bitrate. No problems or failures or any kind occurred. I've also ran parking mode here in upstate SC USA for numerous days where the air temps were 31.7C or higher, again with no problems. Being in Canada you're unlikely to have any heat-related problems with the A139.

Phil

I just finished a measured heat test with the A139 (and others) where 71C temps were achieved and held for 20 minutes, doing both regular recording and parking mode using low-bitrate. No problems or failures or any kind occurred. I've also ran parking mode here in upstate SC USA for numerous days where the air temps were 31.7C or higher, again with no problems. Being in Canada you're unlikely to have any heat-related problems with the A139.

Phil
Haa tell that to melted glue on my mounts ... things keep falling as glue melts away as it gets super hot in the sun. I am worried of this dashcam actually falling to it's death in summer sun.

I measured 70-75°C in my car under sun over this summer, no failure of my cams, nor falling from windshield. (but I have to admit that my rear "front" unit kept falling from plastic trim so I had to buy a 33m long spool of 3M grey VHB for 150°C/230°C to finally give myself a peace :D )

But fair enough, A139 gets very toasty.

I measured 70-75°C in my car under sun over this summer, no failure of my cams, nor falling from windshield. (but I have to admit that my rear "front" unit kept falling from plastic trim so I had to buy a 33m long spool of 3M grey VHB for 150°C/230°C to finally give myself a peace :D )

But fair enough, A139 gets very toasty.
Yea will need to mod it lol. Put fans on it when in use. Too bad I don't have a 3d printer would like to do something like that

Haa tell that to melted glue on my mounts ... things keep falling as glue melts away as it gets super hot in the sun. I am worried of this dashcam actually falling to it's death in summer sun.
I'm having some 3M issues with other cams, but not the A139 and it does get parked in the direct summer sun of upstate SC quite a lot. Most (but not all) tape-mount failures are from a less-than-perfectly clean windshield and/or not allowing the mount to set at least 24 hours before putting any weight (cam) on it.

Phil

Most (but not all) tape-mount failures are from a less-than-perfectly clean windshield
Agree with that, you need to remove 100% of any grease or wax on the glass, so no using glass polish, you need detergent to remove the grease, then 3M tape will never leave go.

not allowing the mount to set at least 24 hours before putting any weight (cam) on it.
I've never bothered with that one; yes the tape does gain some strength over 24 hours, but it ought to have plenty of strength within ten seconds if it is pushed on firmly, just remove 100% of that grease which is always on the glass however often you clean it, it comes off the road and some always makes it through the cabin air filters.

Thats not good, i just got the camera, not even installed and closer to winter now so hot days are rare now. I tried hardwire kit with just 1 camera, i did come back to dead camera, powered off, so not sure if it was power failure or heat failure, it was parked in sun over 30c outside inside was probably was 60 plus. What SD card are you using mine is Samsung evo 128gb

I tested a Sandisk A2 Extreme 256GB, Sandisk High Endurance 256GB, and Samsung Evo 128GB with same results.

I should mention, when I have my phone mounted on windshield while driving for Waze, I also did get unable to continue charging due to heat in the past. I surmise...My overheating issues on my past A139 tests may be a result of the below parameters....

1. My Dashboard is Black
2. Window is ceramic tinted and absorbs heat
3. Cameras mounted at top of windshield
4. Angle of my windshield
5. I drive a dark colored car (sedan). Volvo S60

I imagine all those played into my test results....But if you saw the same thing at 30C then the easy answer on whether it overheated is to: Check SD card to see if last files written are corrupt. On an overheat shutdown the last video (Front, Rear, Interior) shows up like my image above and is unplayable.

Please report back findings.

Phil

I'm not sure I understand your post here. If you ran it at 71C for 20 minutes? That's not a long duration. But then you said you ran parking mode where air temp was 31.7C. Were you parked in direct sunlight? What was airtemp of the van during this periods.

I think the issues i mentioned above may be why I have a higher success rate at overheating. Van has way more cubic feet (meters) to heat up.

Bump. If anyone else can run tests greatly appreciated.

In all honesty I think it be difficult to do such a test at least here it's getting colder. I just put the camera on window today so let's see how normal day to day use works. I am exploring means to power it 24/7 with additional battery. That's more important to me right now, cause once I have that, putting a silent 12 volt fan on it to run all the time makes heat less of an issue. I dunno why dashcams don't come with built in mini fans.

In all honesty I think it be difficult to do such a test at least here it's getting colder. I just put the camera on window today so let's see how normal day to day use works. I am exploring means to power it 24/7 with additional battery. That's more important to me right now, cause once I have that, putting a silent 12 volt fan on it to run all the time makes heat less of an issue. I dunno why dashcams don't come with built in mini fans.

Do you intend to plug in a fan and have it blow on the A139 to keep it cool? How will you arrange this when the vehicle is parked? Never overheats when driving.

Here soon, the Aussies will be entering summer. They'll be able to replicate my tests pretty easily.

Do you intend to plug in a fan and have it blow on the A139 to keep it cool? How will you arrange this when the vehicle is parked? Never overheats when driving.

Here soon, the Aussies will be entering summer. They'll be able to replicate my tests pretty easily.
That's the plan i am looking on Amazon for 30ah LiPo4 deep cycle units, and isolator, my car battery too old to be used for dash cam parking mode. I do have few 12 volt fans lying around :). Would be easy to plug them up to the 2nd battery unit to test. But hard to do heat test its getting cold real fast here.

But i bought this camera primarily for parking mode and if it dont work well when hot it be kinda worrisome. You do get reversed into parking lots a lot these days it seems.

That's the plan i am looking on Amazon for 30ah LiPo4 deep cycle units, and isolator, my car battery too old to be used for dash cam parking mode. I do have few 12 volt fans lying around :). Would be easy to plug them up to the 2nd battery unit to test. But hard to do heat test its getting cold real fast here.

But i bought this camera primarily for parking mode and if it dont work well when hot it be kinda worrisome. You do get reversed into parking lots a lot these days it seems.

I imagine people in the Southern Hemisphere will crop up with test results over the coming months. See if what I was able to recreate on two different units is indeed a valid issue / concern.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C A139 10
T A139 5
T A139 3
K A139 5
H A139 13
Back